Pages

Friday, October 16, 2009

Where Does The Time Go?

It seems that there is never enough time in the day to get things done. I start my day at 6:00 by getting up, getting the kids up and ready for school, getting them to school and coming back home. Then I spend the rest of the day chasing the baby around the house. She has so much energy! Climbing over the furniture, tearing up the house, and basically demanding all of my attention during the day. Then I have to leave by 2:30 to pick up the older kids, do any errands that I have, come back home and help them with homework, get supper ready, and get them ready for bed. And I have to fit trying to keep the house somewhat clean in there.

By the time everyone is in bed (husband included) it's usually around 10:00 before I have any ME time to get my writing done. Blogging is now squeezed in whenever I get a little extra time, but no writing is done until the house is quiet. I'm lucky to get about two hours. I wish I could find more time during the day.

How do you find time to get your writing in during the day? Do you write any time you have a moment free, or do you wait until the rest if the family is asleep?

5 comments:

  1. Your day sounds a lot like mine. The only difference is that my kids don't get up until 6:30, so between 6 and 6:30 I blog, read other blogs...sometimes I have fifteen or twenty minutes when I get home before the baby wakes up and I finish then.

    Do not clean all day long. Here's the thing-your little one will go behind you and undo everything, by the end of the night, you are exhausted. Leave the toys out until she is in bed, or right before bedtime. Do minimal dishes, picking up stuff during the day. I do pretty much write whenever I have a chance. Also-I finally broke down and realized the older kids CAN help with the little one. Pick a room, make sure it's safe and then send 'em all in there!! It's good for them, I promise. :)

    I think it's different for everyone, but you'll find your rhythm with time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at that! I'm lucky thirteen!

    This is always a problem. You should check out Janice Hardy's blog. She actually blogged about this very thing...today...I think.

    I haven't been writing at all lately. I need to get back into it, but I do try to get it in whenever I can. I actually have a day job, so I don't have a chance until I get home.

    I think Kristi's advice is stellar. Pick a room and send them in. It will probably do you and the kids a whole lot of good:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have 3 daughters too and write YA fantasy. Nice to meet you. :) I try to write whenever I have time, but I find that with the constant distractions, I get a lot more accomplished in the late hours of the day when everyone is sleeping. So much so, that sometimes I wonder why I even bother during the day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. During the week (and some weekends) I'm so busy with school that I don't get the time to write. However, I've scheduled it now where I try and get everything done for school from sunday night- thursday evening. Then I get the rest of the weekend for me time, whether that be catching up on sleep or writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your schedule made me cringe a little. I don't know how you do it!
    I have a hard enough time without a husband and kids. My hat's off to you!

    ReplyDelete