Pages

Sunday, November 29, 2009

But I Don't Want To!

How many of you have every heard your kids say this? You tell them to do something and immediately they say (in a high-pitched, whiny voice), "But I don't want to!" My kids could recite this line in their sleep.

There's a lot of things I don't want to do right now. Putting up the Christmas tree is one. I have a tradition where I always get my husband to drag the Christmas decorations out of the attic and the kids and I deck out the house in holiday splendor on the Sunday after Thanksgiving. Why on that day? I don't know, that's just what I've always done. But it probably has something to do with my mad shopping sprees on Black Friday and Saturday:) Anyway, I usually love doing this, but this year, well, I don't. My youngest has been sick with a nasty cold all week, so I'm extremely sleep deprived, I missed my shopping this week because of said sick child, and now I have the stupid cold. I don't feel like doing anything. Not cooking, not cleaning, and yes, that includes writing.

You may be thinking What! You're a writer. And writers write no matter what! Well, you are absolutely correct to be thinking this (if you are). There's a lot of things in life that people don't feel like doing, but they have to get done. Otherwise, they won't get done. If I don't put up the tree, the kids can't help with the decorating (Please don't ask why doesn't the husband help with the tree....that's not his thing). And I will have some very disappointed kids to deal with. Even though I feel like crap right now, I did manage to get the tree assembled and the decorations out. And you know what? It looks great. It even put me in a semi-cheerful mood to see the house like this. The kids are very happy, which in turn, makes me happy because they're no longer complaining.

The same is true for my writing. Even though I don't feel like writing right now, I'm still gonna do it tonight. I'm just over the 25,000 word mark, but I know I should be a lot further along than this. I stayed up late last night to finish a chapter and I posted it for my crit group even though the bed was calling my name. Tonight, it's on to the next chapter. I would love to get the whole chapter typed tonight, but that probably won't happen. I'll settle for at least half of it being completed. And all because I'm a writer. And writers write, even when they don't feel like it.

What's something you didn't want to do lately, but you did it anyway?

6 comments:

  1. ugh, I unburied the christmas decorations too today. :0) I didn't much feel like it, but now that it's (mostly) done, I feel better. Same goes for my writing, I do it even when I don't feel like it and I usually end up feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's a sign of a real writer - someone who forces themself to write through the major "I don't wannas". I'm still working toward it, ha.

    Whether in writing, or decorating, or any other areas getting of the "I don't wannas" is more than half the battle. And usually, when you get over them, as you discovered after decorating the tree, you feel happer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't wanna go to work tomorrow. I'm having a serious case of the Blah's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still have to get our Christmas decorations going, but you're right. After the fact I'll be so happy.

    I think every writer feels like they don't want to write sometimes. Good job pushing through it, and you're right. Just like the decorations, you'll be so happy that you did.

    I liked your comment on my blog btw. Let's get a list of query "don'ts" together, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unpacking and the laundry that accompanies unpacking! I hate coming back after a long vacation. I need to buckle down and get some writing done today too. It's been too long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep- haven't put up my tree either. I've caught another cold, so I pretty much don't want to do anything... LOL

    Glad you're making great progress on your WIP! Woo Hoo :o)

    ReplyDelete