Pages

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

My Wonderful WIP

I love writing. It has made me realize things that I've never dreamed. First, I never imagined I could actually write anything worth reading. I've been talking about wanting to write for over ten years, but I just got around to doing it a few months ago. I could kick myself for wasting so much precious time. Sure, it's hard work, but I LOVE it.

And my WIP. Well, what can I say? I adore it. Now I know some of you may be thinking Don't get too attached to it...first novels usually suck. But I can't help it. This book is my baby. And the characters....they are like real, live, flesh-and-blood people to me now. I can see them and hear the things they say. They have told me things I never thought they would do. One character even showed up unexpectedly. I blogged once about how I came up with my characters and created sketches for each one, but one just waltzed in and has become a pretty major player.

Another thing about my characters is that they have started taking over the story. I have a very general outline to help me remember where I want the characters to be at certain points of the story, but the chapter I've been working on for the past few days has tripped me up. I keep wanting the characters to go one way, but they want to go in the opposite direction. And you know what, it looks like they are going to win. Something about this particular chapter has been bothering me, but the more I think about it, the more I see how the characters are right again. So tonight, when I log off the Internet, I'm going to just listen to them and see where they take me. And I can't wait.

How has your WIP surprised you? Do you control your characters, or have they taken over your story?

8 comments:

  1. You know... I think the moments in my WIP in which I tried to control my characters are going to be the parts that need the most editing! The parts that I just went with the flow... they're the ones that absolutely sizzle!

    And you know what I say (advice from the person who's never queried or been published, so take it with a grain of salt, haha). I say - get attached. Stay attached. If you love, love, love your characters and your story - they'll be THAT much better to read because love shines through the ink!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes. I have a sci-fi dystopian where the main love interest was a total jerk. He was supposed to be anyways. Then, one day, he was like, "I'm not a jerk. I'm a really great guy. I've just been misunderstood." And thereafter took the story in a completely different direction. Mmmm...I miss Chace. I may need to go revisit him...maybe right now. Just to say hi:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was like that with my first novel. I still think of it fondly. It's been retired to a nice little folder on my laptop. First love is sweet, is it not.

    One of the first things I learnt about writing was to listen to your characters--they ALWAYS know best. Sometimes I forget to though. Actually, I blogged about that today.

    Discovering this passion is the best thing I've ever done. Yay for writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Writing does take on a life of its own. In fact, I think that is why I like to write; because it keeps me company and provides me with creative conversation. I never know what's gonna' happen next, so I am always intrigued. ~ Yaya
    Yaya's Changing World

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great when your characters make you go down a road you never thought of yourself. Congrats on loving your book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you are enjoying the experience. First novels are exciting!! And congrats on the process working so well for you too. My characters try to dictate things, but usually I win...LOL. I do give them a lot of liberties though.

    My current WIP the NaNo story has surprised me in many ways, it's kind of exciting seeing everything come together... first time it's done that :o)

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So fun to read about your first novel experience. Yes, get attached! I like what Jade said. And you know what? Sometimes it works out with your first love :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still love my first book. I just recently did a huge rewrite on it. I know that my two more recent projects are much better, but I can't let go of that first love, the story that made me realize I wanted to write novels!

    My characters definitely take control for the first draft, but then I'm in the driver's seat on edits. It's a give and take relationship. :)

    ReplyDelete