Pages

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

A Great Contest And A Meme

The wonderful Shannon at Ramblings of a Wannabe Scribe is having a fabulous contest. Up for grabs this time is a signed copy of Twilight! Isn't she great? The contest is open until December 10, so hurry over and register.

The lovely Sara tagged me with my very first "meme!" Now don't get too excited about reading this. It's writing related, and since I'm so new to this, my answers may get a little repetitive. Sorry! Oh, and before I begin, I'm going to tag Tina Lynn and Erica.

1. What's the last thing you wrote? What's the first thing you wrote that you still have?
The last thing I wrote was in my WIP last night. The first thing I wrote that I still have is a short story from way back in sixth grade. I entered it in a school contest and won, which made me soooo happy because I beat seventh and eighth graders to win.

2. Write poetry?
No, I like to read it, but I suck at writing it.

3. Angsty poetry?
Well, I like to read it:)

4. Favorite genre of writing.
Anything under the umbrella of speculative fiction.

5. Most annoying character you've ever created.
I had a project I started outlining and promptly abandoned when I was in college (See I've WANTED to be a writer for a loooong time). Anyway, the main character was whiny and self-indulgent. Don't know why I made her that way...

6. Best plot you've ever created?
Obviously, the one I'm working on now...since I've never written a book before:)

7. Coolest plot twist you've ever created?
I can't tell you that...my crit group doesn't even know yet!!!! (Inserts evil laugh)

8. How often do you get writer's block?
Hmmm... I wrote like crazy for the first few weeks when I started my WIP, but then I hit a major snag. Took me a week to figure out where I wanted to go, and ever since then I've been on a roll. It's just hard to work sometimes with all of the distractions, but I'm getting better:)

9. Write fan fiction?
No, never had the urge.

10. Do you type or write by hand?
Type..I'm pretty fast. If I wrote by hand, I would never get anything done.

11. Do you save everything you write?
Of course, I'm not crazy!

12. Do you ever go back to an idea after you abandoned it?
No way...I've looked at some of the ideas I wrote down in the past and they are AWFUL!

13. What's your favorite thing you've ever written?
My current WIP. What can I say, I love it:)

14. What's everyone else's favorite story that you've written?
Not a clue.....I haven't let anyone except my crit group read my WIP, and I haven't written any short stories since I was in school.

15. Ever written romance or angsty teen drama?
I had an outline of a cheesy romance from when I was in college (I really, really, really wanted to be a writer way back then), but I never started it.

16. What's your favorite setting for your characters?
My current WIP is set in the foothills of a mountain range. I LOVE the mountains!

17. How many writing projects are you working on right now?
Just one. Any more would blow my mind.

18. Have you ever won an award for your writing?
Oops, I said this above...yeah, the contest from sixth grade.

19. What are your five favorite words.
Apparently they are now, look, just, then, and glance. I have used them way too much in my WIP.

20. What character have you created that is most like yourself.
The mc from the short story that won the contest was basically me.

21. Where do you get ideas for your characters?
People watching and using some of my own characteristics. But once I get the basics down, they come alive and tell me about themselves, if that makes sense.

22. Do you ever write based on your dreams?
Well, I had a vivid dream a few months ago and I wrote down some details from it. I'm saving it for later and I'll go back and see if I can make a story from it.

23. Do you favor happy endings, sad endings, or cliff-hangers?
I don't really favor any one over the others. If I'm sucked into the story, the ending should just make sense with what is happening. But if you tied me up and made me pick one, I would have to pick happy endings.

24. Are you concerned with spelling and grammar as you write?
I obsess over it.

25. Does music help you write?
I can't listen to music as I write. Then the songs get stuck in my head and I can't get in the story. However, I do listen to songs for inspiration.

26. Quote something you've written. Whatever pops into your head.

Soon, we enter the fringe of the outdoor recreation area and catch a glimpse of the city. The great wall surrounding it cannot hide the magnificent marble government building that towers over the center, reaching upwards like a finger pointing in accusation toward the heavens.

And that's all for now:)

12 comments:

  1. Many people say they can't write with music on. Music is my muse. I guess I must be an oddity because I can write with it on or off.

    Oh and I am with you on writing fan fiction, never had the urge.

    I love these list thingies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These were fun, and I liked your last sentence, "...a finger pointing in accusation toward the heavens." Very nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was fun. I didn't think it was repetitive at all. Or maybe I'm not a good listener.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Melane!
    Thanks for spreading the word about the contest. I don't see your entry popping up in the spreadsheet, so I'm not sure if you haven't filled out the form yet or if it didn't work for some reason (hopefully not the latter, that could be bad). If you're having problems let me know. Otherwise, don't forget to enter.

    Oh, and loved your answers, btw. Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am such a HUGE people watcher. But I've never made the connection and looked for characteristics that I could use for my fictional friends. Maybe I do it subconsciously, but either way - I'm so glad I tagged you!!! Now I'll start doing it consciously - what a brilliant idea :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never mind. Our timing was off by minutes (probably as I was typing that comment you were filling out the form). I now have your entry. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooo fun! Thanks for tagging me. Looks like I have some questions to answer :o)

    I can't write by hand either! Typing all the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm impressed that you outline so much. This concept is foreign to me. I don't know if I will ever master it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great answers, they were so fun to read! I'm really big on people-watching as well. There's nothing like listening to a funny conversation or watching the dynamics between a couple who've been married too long. I also write down vivid dreams and get inspiration from them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great interview! I really enjoyed reading it. Thanks for the pleasure of a very unique and interesting interview. Word Designer
    Architect of Prose

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome to the crazy world of blogs, writers and memes! Good luck with your writing! Can't wait to see how it all comes together for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I obsess with spelling and grammar as well. I know I shouldn't care on a first draft, but my perfectionism really holds me back. This also means that I write at quite a slow pace sometimes, making writing with pen and paper a viable option. I feel so old-fashioned admitting that :)

    Love your paragraph!

    ReplyDelete