Pages

Sunday, December 13, 2009

You'd Think I Could Find Some Time...

I don't know where the time goes. For one, I can't believe the year is almost over. It seems like I was just making/breaking the all-important resolutions for 2009, and now I've got to come up with another list soon. *sighs*

Procrastination has reared it's ugly head in another way, too. I put off shopping way longer than I usually do, so I finally started on Friday. And realized a huge mistake in waiting so long. I spent all day shopping in the freezing cold with my toddler (yeah, big mistake) and had a hard time finding a lot of things. I got really frustrated having to go all over the place trying to find a certain coat that my oldest just has to have because all the other kids have it and could not find it. Then I spend a huge chunk of the day on Saturday searching online for the things I couldn't find in the stores. I kept seeing the dreaded OUT OF STOCK everywhere! *grumbles*

Well, the whole weekend has flown by, and I haven't written anything in my WIP. Not. One. Stinking. Word. I feel like the worst of the worst writers. Here I was going on about reaching the mid-point of my book, and I've just come to a stand-still. But that's life. This time of the year is hectic for everybody. From shopping, to family get-togethers, parties, and a host of other things, there's just not a lot of time left in the day for extras now. The guilt is starting to pile on, as well as the anxiety. What if I spend so much time away from my WIP that I can't get back into the groove? What if I can't figure out what to do next?

So, what's been going on in your life lately that's been eating up your time? Are you progressing along in your WIP, or are holiday preparations taking up a lot of your time, too?

13 comments:

  1. I've been procrastinating something shocking! I don't even know why. You will get back into the groove when you have time again. Even when you're not thinking about your WIP it's still turning over in the back of your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wrapping presents yesterday ate up lots of my editing time, but the way I see it...my kids will really enjoy those gifts, so it was time well spent.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always thinking about my WIP. Unfortunately, I don't have much time to work on it right now. This time of year is so crazy for everyone. Hang in there. :)

    I see now you've already recieved it, but there's a little something for you over on my blog. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes we have weekends, or weeks like this. Take a deep breath and start again. I know how you feel about not finding items and searching all over. It's completely annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rhiannon - I know, I'm thinking about it constantly.

    Wendy - You're way ahead of me. I still have to wrap my presents.

    Abby - Thanks for the award!

    Patti - It seems as if everything my kids want is now out of stock!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm missing out on a lot of writing, too. I knew December would be tough, so I'm telling myself it'll be okay if I slack off until January. But then I've got to get in gear, and not just with my writing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It'll be okay! You'll get back into it. I once took off a couple months. I realized my heart wasn't in that particular WIP, but I wrote just the same when I finally returned, you will too ;o)

    I've been critiquing others work lately, so I haven't written since NaNo. I'm ready to get editing my NaNo draft, then get started on something new! Sometimes time away can give you a new perspective. Don't feel bad either. We all do it sometimes. We have other things going on in our lives!

    Good Luck getting back to it and finding those elusive gifts :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't feel guilty about neglecting your MS. It will always be in your head. You created it don't forget :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Deep breath! It's a hectic time of year - so give yourself a few allowances! Plus, maybe in the downtime, your subconscious was working on something for the story that you wouldn't have stumbled upon otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't be too hard on yourself. It happens during this time of the year. I know what you mean, though. Getting the groove can be hard, once you step away for a while. I'm going thru it right now. See, you're not the only one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Christmas comes but once a year, so I jump in and hang on for the duration. Word Designer
    Architect of Prose

    ReplyDelete
  12. JenE - I hope I can get it in gear by January, too:)

    Erica - Good luck with editing your NaNo draft!

    Quillfeather - I'm trying not to feel too guilty, but it's hard.

    Sara - Now the trick is to pull those thoughts out of my subconscious!

    Ellie - Okay, we'll make it through!

    Word Designer - I'm determined that I'm going to enjoy Christmas. You're right, it only comes once a year:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aw, thanks for they sicky-sympathy. I just came by to say hi. I'm also swamped with Christmas events and school programs and a million other things. At least our house is well again though :)

    ReplyDelete