Pages

Thursday, January 21, 2010

An Hour Of Pure Happiness

So yesterday I had to get out of the house and take my youngest for a checkup. Two hours of sheer hades doing that (which consisted of one hour chasing her around the waiting room and another hour in the back room waiting for the actual exam and shots. Fun times I tell ya.)

As I exited said doctor's office, I thought I need a break before I head back to the house. Now I can't take the kid just anywhere, but where can I go so I can relax while she's with me? Of course, I made a beeline for my happy place. Where is that (you may ask)? Well, let's say it together: BARNES AND NOBLE!

I could feel the tension just melt away as I pulled into the parking lot. People who happened to notice me must have thought I was a bit loopy because of the huge grin plastered on my face. I got the stroller out, plopped my daughter in, and practically flew inside. I don't know about you, but when I first enter the store I stop for a moment and just inhale. I mean, there's nothing like the scent of all those new books surrounding me!

I proceeded to spend the next hour walking around in peace, browsing through the selections. I was in heaven! One, there wasn't a lot of people in there, unlike Saturdays when you can barely move. Two, every single person in the store always behaves in a civilized manner. Have you ever noticed that? No hollering at kids (the few that I saw were very quiet). Even my child behaved:) Come to think of it, I didn't hear any raised voices period. Unlike trips to Wally World, um, Walmart where you may come across God knows what kind of behavior in the customers. Yeah, you know what I'm talking about:)

So, after all that browsing, I decided on three books: The Dark Devine by Bree Despain, Fallen by Lauren Kate, and The Breach by Patrick Lee. I heard about the first two by reading blogs, but I first learned of The Breach on Twitter. A few people who I'm following tweeted last week about how good it was. Now to decide which one to read first.

So have you spent any time at your happy place lately? And have you read any of the books I selected? Which one would you recommend that I read first?

23 comments:

  1. Ah, I had to go to B&N on Tuesday to get some textbooks for my DH. Yeah, I spent about 45 minutes in the YA section, petting covers and reading first chapters.

    I've read The Dark Divine. It was pretty good. I've heard of Fallen (stroked the cover on Tue.) but haven't heard anything of The Breach.

    I want Bleeding Violet and Lips Touch Three Times. Desperately.

    But I had to pay $50 for textbooks. Le sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read all three of those. You'll have to let us know what they're like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy place! Just the words sound wonderful. I love a good bookstore. (We don't have B&N down here.) I also love markets, thrift shops and going to the movies. It's all about escape from your world for a little bit. Hmmmmm Happy Place!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay B & N - I know what you mean- love that place :o)A friend of mine is reading Fallen and she likes it so far :o) I want to read it too.

    I did go there this month to get birthday presents and have coffee :o) Yum

    Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read those yet, but I've heard a lot of buzz about The Dark Devine.

    And I don't have a Barnes & Noble nearby, but Hastings is a decent back up. My other happy place? Hobby Lobby. Aaahhh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of them sound amazing--I keep seeing Fallen in the best seller list, so it's definitely on my radar! Plus, I think it takes place in Savannah and I absolutely love southern books!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love. that. store.

    I haven't been in a few weeks. Half Price Books is better for my wallet, but the atmosphere isn't quite as nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've read The Dark Divine, and really enjoyed the ending. I've heard fabulous things about The Breach. You'll have to let us know how you liked them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Elana - Oh, I stroke the covers too:)

    Patti - I'll keep ya'll updated when I read them. But it may take a while. Writing cuts into what used to be my reading time:)

    Caz - Yes, everyone needs a happy place. I love going to the movies, too.

    Erica - Yay! Another B & N fan!

    Jen - I've never heard of Hastings. My backup is Borders. Sorry to those out there who love Borders, but B & N has a better atmosphere (to me, anyway).

    LiLa - That's one of the reasons I'm leaning toward reading Fallen first - I've been to Savannah a lot, so I want to see if the description is accurate.

    Amber - Yes, another B & N fan! I know, it can get pricey, but I had gift cards to use:)

    Jenn - Glad to know it's a good book. I've been hearing that it's a great read, and I love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was at B&N this week, too. Took my husband and kids. Got a half coffee half coco and browsed and browsed. Loved it. Loved the smell of paper and coffee and magazine print. It was wonderful. Didn't love people on their cells though. What is the deal with that? It's a bookstore for cripes sake.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Barnes and Noble...such a haven. Can there be anything better than books and coffee on a lazy afternoon? I mean, really? There's the library, I guess. But no coffee or its pleasant smells.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think we should boycott Barnes and Noble for a week, so they realize we should get a cool people discount. My member discount just makes me buy/spend more in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Havent read any of those but i did just get a Kindle, so I've been downloading like crazy. Reading on my Kindle a kind of happy place for me, but Borders is much better. (My Barnes & Nobles aint that great).

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't think I have a happy place :(

    I guess Chapters is the closest to a happy place that I can think of. It used to be the movie theatre, but as my belly gets bigger and my bladder smaller, I'm finding the experience less enjoyable.

    Oh, Six Flags is definitely a happy place.....if only my husband liked roller coasters! The closest one (that I know of) is 24 hours away in California. Someday, happy place, we shall meet again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bookstores are like shoe stores - and I've learned avoid them both unless I know exactly what I want. Otherwise, I'm sure to end up spending way too much money on both books and shoes I didn't need. (Of course, one could argue that you can never *need* too many books or shoes!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Judith - Sorry about the folks on the cell phones. They usually don't bother me unless they're talking loudly, then I give them the evil eye. I was lucky this time - didn't see a single person doing this:)

    Carol - Well I do love the library, but there's no comparison to B & N!

    Jonathon - That sounds like a great idea!

    Karen - I don't have a Kindle yet. Maybe sometime in the next year I can get one:)

    Morgan - I remember those days of the too small bladder. At least things will get back to normal for you in a few months. Then there's the whole no sleep thing:)

    K.M. - I agree with you 100 percent! Going in there without an idea of what you want can be expensive. That's why I limited myself to three books.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Barnes and Noble is Heaven! I loved Fallen and now I really want to get The Dark Divine. That book seems to be everywhere! : )

    ReplyDelete
  18. Barnes and Noble makes everything better!!!

    I am glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've been wanting to read The Dark Divine. I love a trip to the bookstore (as long as it's without the kids!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kimberly - I know, I keep seeing it as a prize for contests and in reviews. Looks like it's going to be a great read:)

    Jen - Welcome! And you're right, B & N is great:)

    Natalie - Yes, it is absolutely perfect when I can go without kids. But that doesn't happen too often, so I take what I can get!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've read half of the Dark Divine - I like it so far. Haven't read Fallen and never heard of the breach. Go with the cover. I like to stroke covers too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I know exactly what you mean about Barnes and Nobles and just taking a moment to breathe in the bliss. My friend experiences that at shoe stores and thinks I'm weird about books. Only writers and true book lovers understand. That's why I love my blogger friends. Like you :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hiya, sweetie, I left you an award at my blog!

    http://carol-in-print.blogspot.com/2010/01/in-mood.html

    ReplyDelete