Pages

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Official No-Kiss Blogfest!

Wow, it seems like I was just posting a scene for the Kissing Day Blogfest. I don't know about you, but I had a blast reading everyone's entries. So I've been looking forward to the No-Kiss Blogfest ever since I first heard about it:) A huge shout out to Frankie for hosting it! And it's definitely not too late to join the fun. Just pop over to her blog and sign your name to the Mr. Linky so everyone can find your scene.

Now on to my contribution. I have exactly two kissing scenes in my WIP so far, but no almost- kisses. Therefore, I had to write this one just for today's festivities. I decided to include my mc Eden and a new guy named Lucas (who I have not even introduced yet in my WIP). Lucas is a mystery to Eden. She knows very little about him, other than the fact that he wants to protect her. To set up the scene, Eden and Lucas are hiding out in a forest. She's on the run from the group who controls the walled city in which she used to live, and she has been separated from her younger sister Noren and her boyfriend David.


Despite the fact that Lucas and I have been walking most of the day, sleep continues to elude me. Dreams filled with images of Noren's capture always see to that . It's been several weeks since she was taken, but I can still hear her frightened screams piercing the air. And I remember David's promise that he would bring her back.

I roll over expecting to see Lucas stretched out next to me, but he's nowhere in sight. My heart starts to race, and I frantically sit up. Where is he?

Moonlight filters through the trees, bathing the area in a soft glow. I scan the area, trying to figure out where he has gone. The sound of a twig snapping startles me, and my head whips around, searching for any threat.

A small sigh escapes me when I see Lucas emerging from the shadows.

"Where have you been?" I hiss. "You scared me to death."

A half-smile plays across his lips as he strolls toward me. He stops just in front of me, hands on hips, and says, "Why? Did you miss me?"

I scowl at him as he sits next to me. He flashes a huge grin at me now, one that always lights up his whole face. My pulse starts to quicken again, but this time not in fear. I close my eyes and take a few deep breaths, trying to steady myself. What's wrong with me? Why am I feeling like this?

I open my eyes to find Lucas staring at me with an intensity that almost causes me to forget how to breathe.

"Are you all right?" he asks.

"Yes, I was scared, that's all. I woke up and you were gone."

He reaches over and gently puts his hand over mine. His touch sends an electric jolt up my arm and throughout my whole body. I shiver slightly, but it's enough for Lucas to notice. He slides closer and puts an arm around me, drawing me into his warmth.

"I thought I heard something so I went to check it out," he whispers. His face is just a few inches away from mine.

"Oh, okay," I manage to choke out.

"Eden, there's something you need to know."

My brow furrows in confusion as I look up at him. He picks my hand up and places it against his chest. Expecting to feel the steady rhythm of his heart, I'm startled to feel it pounding against my palm.

"I don't understand," I say.

"You do this to me. I even felt like this when we first met."

My breathing quickens as he leans in even closer. He traces a finger down the side of my cheek and across my lips. But just as he is about to kiss me, an image fills my mind. David.

A sinking feeling takes root in my chest, dousing the desire I feel. Shaking my head, I pull back and jump to my feet. "I'm sorry. I can't do this."


Well, what do you think? Sorry for any excessive -ly words that may be in here, but I wrote this yesterday. Like I said, this scene uses characters from my WIP, but I don't know if it will actually be used. Only time will tell:)

26 comments:

  1. I am blog visiting today and i am glad to stumble here. I love writers' corner! Will be looking forward to read more.. on my next visit!

    ~Silver
    Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooo, I'm liking Lucas, and this scene has nice tension. Great job of writing on the spot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im so intrigued with your story now and love the set up. I want to know if what's going to happen with Noren already and David. This is great! Thanks for participating in the fest!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really great job, especially for just writing it yesterday! Oh the angst of the love triangle! I really like your writing style. Thanks for sharing and I hope Lucas does make it into your wip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i liked it until i read you wrote it yesterday. then, i liked it more cause you wrote it so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...you just wrote that yesterday? Nicely done! Very romantic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love when he puts her hand over his heart! *Swoon* I agree, I hope he makes it into your book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Forget David. I like Lucas! :) Really enjoyed this scene. Now I want to read more.
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't believe you wrote that so quickly--it's awesome. And I gotta say, I don't know about this David guy, but I'm REALLY liking Lucas. I think he needs to stick around. :) Awesome scene. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh! I love a mysterious boy. That was great. I loved the tension and how she feels torn between the two guys. I also can't believe you wrote that yesterday! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the setup and your mystery boy. The tension was high and I couldn't stop reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh I can't believe you just wrote that yesterday... so good! I love when guys trace their fingers across lips... so steamy. And the hand against his chest too, sweet and steamy is my favorite mix.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I definitely want to know what happens between Lucas and Eden! I love the moment when she shivers and he draws her in against him. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like this Lucas guy. Great job and kudos to you for writing an excerpt to post. I have so much trouble "fast-forwarding" in a WIP and writing a future scene, I'm too linear.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like Lucas, and I'm interested in how this is all going to pan out once she meets up with David again, nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. ooh I agree with everyone else! I am so liking what's going on with Eden and Lucas! Not that I'm ever one to cheer for cheating, but... I guess I need to know more about David to make my final judgement
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very steamy! There's so much tension here, but I like that she stopped before the kiss with David on her mind. Very honorable. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooo, great scene, Lucas sounds so hawt, great job building up the tension! :D

    ~Ella

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aw, poor Lucas. Wonderful scene!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the name Lucas! I can't wait to see if you use this. The tension is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hope you do use this scene! It's steamy! :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your scene !

    "You do this to me. I even felt like this when we first met."

    ahhh, favorite line (:

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you everyone for your kind comments! They made my day:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very nicely done. You just did this yesterday? Wow!

    ~ Just Joany
    Red Wagon Flights

    ReplyDelete
  25. So good. I felt the intensity. I can't believe you just wrote this out recently. It would take me days to perfect mine!

    Great Job :o)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Melissa,

    How did i miss this a few days ago. Ugh, you have to get another chapter up soon. I'm dying to know. But for now I'm staying on "Team David"

    ReplyDelete