Pages

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

On Staying Positive (Plus Some More Great Contests!)

There are contests everywhere! I found two more since my last post. The first one is by Roni at Fiction Groupie. Two winners will receive their choice of a first ten page critique or a query critique. The contest closes on January 15 and winners will be announced on Monday.

The second is given by Jenn Johansson. She's reached 100 followers on her blog, so she's going to let the winner of her contest choose any author who will be attending the Life, the Universe, and Everything conference (LTUE) and she will get their book and have it autographed. Sweet deal! The winner will be announced on Monday, January 18. So hurry and enter both!

For my post today, I want to discuss ways to stay positive when you hit a slump. Since I went through one of these recently, I've had the opportunity to try several different things. Some of the ones that I tried that did help are as follows:

1. Get out of the house. Staying inside and dwelling on the negative will just make things seem so much worse than they really are.

2. Read a book. It's true. When you can lose yourself in someone else's adventures/loves/woes, you can forget about your own problems for a while.

3. Watch a great movie/t.v. program. Much like reading a book, you can immerse yourself in someone else's life or even learn something new. (Got an idea to help me with my current WIP by doing this, too)

4. Visit writing-related blogs. Perhaps I did this too much, but visiting blogs of fellow writers always makes me feel better. I can get inspiration, advice, or even a good laugh from ya'll.

5. Spend time with family and friends. It's tempting to want to sit and think about your WIP all of the time when you're in a slump, but sometimes you just need to step away and live your life. And nobody knows you better than your family and friends, so go out and interact with them. And who knows, you may pick up just the right snippet of conversation or observe something brilliant that will get the creative juices flowing again.

These are just a few things I've tried, but there are many more out there. What have you done to stay positive during a slump?

11 comments:

  1. I've been in quite the slump lately too. These are great tips. I think we all go through it, but it's no fun, is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm feeling a bit slumpy today myself. Of course, the 100 books in 2010 reading challenge is a distraction and a time thief. (But, a worthy time thief)

    Great suggestions for staying positive and remembering that we also need to live life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are not alone in the slumpage. Thanks for the reminder to get out there and live. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great ideas. When I started writing I found that my reading time became almost non-existent, but then I went through a slump and was surprised to realize just how much reading inspired me to write.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great advice. I've definitely been in a funk as well. Seems to be going around. Thanks for the linkage btw. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think January is slump month. Thanks for the encouragement.

    I left you a lovely little something at my blog that should also help.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan - You're right, it's no fun at all.

    Amber - That's why I decided not to try for 100 books. I would never get any writing done. I'm going to try for 50 books, though.

    Anissa - It does seem like a lot of people are going through this now. Maybe it has something to do with the cold weather.


    Candice - Yes, I did the same thing. Since September, I've read maybe three or four books. Usually I get to at least 15 to 20 in the same time period.

    Roni - You're welcome! And I hope you get past your slump soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elle - You commented at the same time I was typing! I agree that it has something to do with January. Can't wait for spring to get here. And thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Getting out of the house and spending time with family help a lot! I also love to go for a walk/jog or sing/listen to music. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm definitely fighting the January slump this week. Thank you for the tips on staying positive - I needed some!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nisa - Welcome! I usually like walking, too. But it's been really cold here lately.

    Julie - You're welcome! Seems like a lot of people are fighting this right now.

    ReplyDelete