Pages

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Reading Time vs. Writing Time

I feel like a writing failure right now. I'm supposed to be participating in Saradise, hosted by Sara at Babbling Flow of a Fledgling Scribbler, but things just keep happening to keep me from my manuscript. My oldest was sick on Monday, and today my middle child has the virus. Needless to say, no writing was done on Monday and so far today I'm batting zero. (I did crit two chapters and work on chapter 15 in my ms last night, so there's a little something.)

Now you might be thinking Um, couldn't you still write when they are asleep? Well, I could, but I started a book Sunday night. I picked up Fallen by Lauren Kate a few weeks ago and let me say that I'm hooked. Read three hours Sunday until my eyes couldn't stay open. I was drained on Monday from being on sick child duty, so no writing (hey I can't think when I'm that tired). Instead I read for two hours that night. Last night I only read for an hour because of the critting and writing I did. But I was positively itching to get back to reading. And today....well let's just say by the time I'm done cleaning up puke all day, I really don't think my creative side will be functioning very much. Now I could be wrong, but that's the way I work. Then there's the book, calling my name. Oooh, I want to get back to it. *Picks up said book and strokes the cover*

So how do you get in quality reading time AND writing time? My free time is so limited that I feel I have to choose between the two and I hate doing that. I want to do both! Every day! Oh, how I wish there was some super energy pill so I could have the stamina to work round the clock:)

*****

Okay, now for the second award I have to pass on. Today's award is the Honest Scrap Award. I received this one from the super-talented Shannon at Ramblings of a Wannabe Scribe and the awesome Julie at The Climb. You're missing out if you haven't visited their blogs before! I'm going to pass this award to Jon at Jon's Life. Very cool dude. He's new to blogging, but he's picked up a lot of followers very quickly. Shows how talented he really is! So check out his blog if you haven't found him yet. You'll be glad that you did;)

17 comments:

  1. I just picked up Fallen on Monday and I can't stay away from it either. When I get like this, I just have to finish the book so I can put it out of my mind.

    And we don't need energy pills. We need six more hours in the day and children that need that additional six hours for sleeping. :)

    Congrats on the award!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend not to read while I'm writing. And, lately, I'm pretty much always writing. I have that issue of not being able to put a book down--even mediocre books. My solution is to just not start unless I'm willing to give up all writing time until it's finished. And, thus far, only one book has been good enough to surpass my writing time.

    Btw, you'rte link to Jon, leads to Julie again ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abby - Isn't Fallen addictive! I'm a little less than halfway finished now, but I'm going to try to have it done in the next few days. That way I can concentrate on writing again. Then there's all the other books I have waiting to be read. And I would LOVE six more hours in the day. That would fix everything!

    Tara - Thanks! I've got the link fixed now. As for not reading while writing, I did that in December and most of January. And for some reason my writing got really crappy. I guess I need the stimulation that comes with reading to help me with my own creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fallen is SO easy to get hooked on!

    Try splitting your time into segments! :-) 30 minutes to write & then 30 minutes to read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I honestly don't. Reading gets neglected. A lot.

    Congrats on the award!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Melissa! I look forward to finding out the winner of your contest ;) ;) ;)




    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I second Abby and the whole, "six more hours in the day" thing. Yeah, lets have that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When you get a hold of energy pills, let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry for the sick kiddo...ugh, hate that. I hope you keep from getting sick as well. But don't be so harsh on yourself. You have a good excuse for setting aside you manuscript for the moment. I, on the other hand, do not. *sigh

    Hope to see you in Saradise soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is super hard to do both.

    I find that I do well to write at lunch and read at night.

    However, I am happy to cram either into my sched. whenever I can.

    I don't even have kids and can barely make time. I don't know how you do it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Also, I have been going through the same week as you, totally Groundhog Day style! Except, I have no children to attend to. You are supermom and I think in a week's time the past few days will just that, in the past, and you'll be back to writing, critiquing, reading, parenting, and whatever else like a pro.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Are you my long-lost twin?? With two school-age daughters and a desperate desire to read at all times of the day and night, my writing has been ummm... non-existent lately. I did try to write a couple weeks ago when I was on a business trip to Germany, but the bustle of Berlin was calling. So I abandoned my fledgling NaNoWriMo novel and explored the city. Inspiration, right? A suggestion to help you through the mundane chores and alleviate the pain of not being constantly able to read... audible.com and Kindle! Kindle has an app for the iPhone so if you have one of those, you don't have to buy the actual Kindle. I'm constantly listening! Come check out my blog and see my growing list of books read (or listened to) this year! www.deliciousaspie.blogspot.com
    Kate :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoyed Fallen! I read it in a day. :)
    It's so hard balancing motherhood,teaching, writing, and reading. I feel so spread thin most of the time (and end up feeling like a bad mom in the process).

    I wish I had some sort of helpful advice. Sadly, I'm in the same boat as you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ugh...sick kids are the worst! It feels like I have zero time to get anything done lately--you might talk to Lisa, who seems to have more hours in the day than anybody else I know. Anyways, I do most of my work at night, after my daughter is in bed. But I have about a million books in my to-be-read pile and we have just begun writing another manuscript. Writing usually trumps everything else (not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing--ask my husband and daughter ;), so my pile will just get bigger!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think reading can be considered research for writing. So technically, you're still working on your craft by reading. Therefore, NOT failing. :)
    Happy Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry about your sick kiddos, Melissa! Hope they feel better soon. Reading is a mandatory task for a writer and I'm trying to make more time to do it, especially now that I've sort of run out of writing motivation. Congrats on your award and I hope you have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.
    Lucy
    http://dataentryjob-s.com

    ReplyDelete