Pages

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Mission Accomplished!

Whew! It's been a long week, but I'm so happy that I can officially "plug" back in and visit blogs again. And to answer your question (if you're asking), yes I did reach my goal of 5000 new words. *cheers and thinks about doing a cartwheel but then remembers what happened the last time (and it wasn't pretty)*

Let me tell ya, I did go through a blog withdrawl of sorts on my first official "unplug" day. In fact, every time I tried to write I found myself getting online, so I gave up and cleaned the house. That's right, I spent my first day scrubbing toilets and mopping floors. But in my defense, there's something about a clean house that fuels creativity, right? Hey, that's what I told myself and it worked:) Then I spent way too much time on Twitter that night, so day one was an utter writing failure.

The next day was a little better. In between chasing the toddler and just flat out procrastinating, I did churn out a whopping 500 words. *hangs head in shame*

Friday was much better despite the fact that both of the older kiddos were sick. Even though all three kids were at home that day, the muse decided to pay me a visit and I cranked out about 1600 words. Yep, that was a personal best for one day of writing, and I didn't even do that in one sitting. Every chance I had a breather, I was at the computer tapping away. But like I said, the muse was a-singin' and I was a-listenin'. And when she visits, you DO NOT turn her away.

The weekend was basically shot. Between my niece's birthday party and cookout on Saturday and spending time with the family on Sunday, I produced very little. But Monday and Tuesday were very productive days, so I was able to meet the goal.

So what have I learned?

* I can function without blogging for a week.
* Twitter can suck a lot of your time, but I need some interaction with my writing peeps:)
* The more I attempt to write, the more I WANT to write.
* The more I attempt to write, the EASIER it gets.
* I'm a lot happier when I write.
* I still love my WIP. I've been in a writing slump for the past few months and I've had doubts about whether I should continue this project or start something new, but I'm going to finish it. I owe it to my characters to tell their story.

And that's it. I missed you A LOT, but unplugging is a good thing. I got way more accomplished than I have in the past two months combined, so I will do this again.

So what's been going on with you? What have I missed in the past week?

17 comments:

  1. Welcome back!! Glad you got some words written :) You are a brave soul - I would definitely go through blogging withdrawal so badly if I tried unplugging, but I bet it is very necessary sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! Unplugging sounds like a good idea...but hard! I'm glad you got some writing in and a clean house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, awesome, awesome!! You'll be my inspiration for the week I am taking off in two weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huzzah for increased word count! I find it hard to get away from the internet, too. Sometimes I've just gotta go old school and write in a notebook to resist temptation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not much into blog gossip (is there such a thing) but I can say a lot of people won A LOT of awards and passed them on to A LOT of other bloggers. Film at eleven! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you're back. I need to unplug sometime soon. Gonna have to pick a week this month. NEED TO.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't there an "official" unplug week every month? I may need to try it out. I can always schedule some posts and take off. Congrats on making the goal. Happy me, I got to read those words. And I've been waiting a LONG time:P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Julie - I'm glad to be back! I thought I would go through withdrawl, and I did the first day, but after that it wasn't so bad.

    Anissa - I'm all for unplugging now. Loved the clean house, though it didn't stay that way, and it freed up a lot of my time. But I still missed it.

    Jonathon - I'm honored! And I know you'll get a lot of writing done:)

    Natalie - Thanks!

    Mariah - I used the notebooks a lot during the outline/planning phase and I do keep a small one in my purse for when I'm away from home and inspiration strikes:)

    DL - Lol, seems like there's contests EVERYWHERE:)

    Karen - I think the third week is the official unplug week, but try it anytime you feel the need. You'll be surprised at how much you accomplish. BTW, congrats on finishing your first draft:)

    Tina - Well if you unplug, please stay on Twitter. Got to stay in contact with ya:) And I know, that was too long to go without giving y'all something to crit. Won't happen again!

    Jen - Thanks! It's a great feeling:I)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Writing is a lot like anything. If you start doing it it's hard to stop.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the 5000 words! Yippee ;o) Nice to see ya back here!

    I've been thinking about trying unplugged week myself, probably not a bad idea, but I only post a couple times a week, so who knows if it's warrented.

    Sounds like you found out a lot of stuff about you and your WIP, congrats on that as well ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is this 5000 words that I've read or new stuff? I'm itching for that next chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Patti - You're absolutely right!

    Amber and Erica- Thanks! I'm glad to be back:)

    Julie - It's was most of chapter 15 (which you've read) and most of 16. I had to stop and do some research last night on something I mentioned to you before (about the escape).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay for taking time off. And welcome back to the blogging world. Its nice to have you back.

    Just thought you might like to know that I have a visitor on my blog, today, who will be sharing her grampa's true-life adventures as a Rider on one of the Orphan Trains! There's room for everyone to gather in close and get to know Donna, while enjoying her wonderful story-telling talents. I look forward to seeing you there.

    Yaya
    Yaya's Changing World

    ReplyDelete