Pages

Monday, March 8, 2010

Who Believes In You?

Since I've started writing, I've gone through many ups and downs. Nothing can beat the incredible high of writing the "perfect" sentence/paragraph/chapter. You want to sing, dance, shout or do whatever it is that you do when you're happy. You know, the kind of things that usually embarrass anyone who's within ten feet of you . Then there's the flip side of the coin - the stark realization that everything you write is utter crap. You open your word document, expecting to look over the brilliant prose you created yesterday, and instead sit and stare in open-mouthed astonishment at the junk that has somehow appeared and you think WTF??!!!

This journey we call writing is like a huge roller coaster - you're up in the clouds one minute, down on the ground the next. It's enough to make your insides all tingly in anticipation of the good things you're going to write, then turned upside down and in knots when you come crashing down in a fit of the I-suck-and-I'm-never-gonna-write-anything-good-and-people-will-laugh-at-me-when-they-read-this. Makes you scream and hide, doesn't it?

So what do you do? Keep going? Quit?

NO! Don't quit! Don't even think about it! I don't know about you, but writing is my dream. It's what I have wanted to do since I was little. Sure, it seems like there's more days than not when I think my writing sucks to no end, but I am getting better. And you are, too. Whether you know it or not, each day that you write you learn something new. You learn from your mistakes, learn things that will make you a better writer.

And think of all the people who believe in you - your support system. Keep those people close to you because they are your cheerleaders, the ones who will support you when you're at your lowest. For me, that includes my husband (even though he doesn't "get" the whole writing thing, he understands this is what makes me happy), my girls (they always say things like "Mom, when you get published you can...."), and my bloggy friends. When I read your blogs or chat with some of you on Twitter, I really and truly feel like I'm part of the writing community. Thanks for making me feel so welcome and know that I really value all of you.

So, who is a part of your writing support system? Who do you lean on when you feel like your writing is "unreadable."

23 comments:

  1. I have a great group of writer friends who are extremely supportive. My wife. Even some people who only vaguely know about my writing ask about it. Too bad none of them have any taste. Cause like you said. The next day, it all sucks.

    Tomorrow will be better though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My awesome writing group is my best support system because they understand and cal relate to the self doubt. But my mom (yup she think all the crap I write is brilliant) and a few close friends cheer me on during the doubtful days. Gotta stay positive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My close friends are my champions and cheerleaders. Without them, I'd be lost.

    I also frequent a website (Books & Writers Forum) that offers an incredible amoutn of support - and great critiques!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My family, mission sisters, blog friends, and heaps of prayer.

    Quitting is never an option!

    Reading helps spark my creativity and thrush me back into the throes of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all have our good days and bad days. Good chapters and bad chapters. It happens!

    But, just like Tamika says, "quitting is never an option!"

    My blog buddies as well as friends and critique partners get the brunt of my "panicking" when I'm stuck in a rut. Lucky them... hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just discovered your blog. I am a SAHM with 3 daughters too. And I write YA scifi. Are we related? Hmmm.

    Near as I can tell -- and I base this on the large amount of whining that we writers seem to do -- I think the roller coaster ride never ends, even after you're published. :)

    As for my support system, I'll just paraphrase an old saying: if you want enthusiasm about your work, get a dog.

    Cheers, Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I lean on my bloggy friends! I hope to make more in-person writer friends, but for now the bloggy friends sustain me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I depend on my blog friends! :) Unfortunately not many people in my life understand or appreciate my dream to write, so I keep it to myself ... until I am here, in the blogosphere, with people who truly get it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two things... Blogs and my wonderful husband! When I'm lost or feel alone I write all of you and hope for you to cheer me up -and you always oblige!- My husband is also great whenever I'm struggling he'll read my work and help me out, encourage me to talk it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blog buddies are tremendously supportive. And my CP is the best at pumping me up when I get down on myself. Gotta love writerly friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are one of those people for me. I also have other bloggy friends. But mostly, my daughter, who loves everything I write. I may have given up long ago if it wasn't for her. Love her.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's so funny, I just wrote my blog about relying on one of my best friends when I get to panicking about writing or my commitment to writing. Hooray for the sane ones who keep us crazies going!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always think my writing sucks at the time I write it, but later when I read it again - I'm usually pleasantly surprised. It usually isn't as bad as I thought. Getting the words out is the hard part for me. I struggle with it, but once I get going it's usually always better than I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My parents and my boyfriend, as well as all my bloggy & twitter friends =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah, the roller coaster. I've been on it, my friend. For a long time. I always go back to my family and my chatting writer buddies. They never fail to help me out of my funk.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Unfortunately. this blog community is the closest thing I have to a support system. My wife and a few others are tremendously supportive, but truthfully I can't rely on their input because I feel its tainted...by their love for me and desire to see me achieve.

    I don't have those types of strings attached to my writing friends out here. A writer knows the damage done by simply blowing flowers up your shorts when commenting on something you've written. When I need rejuvenating, I lean on them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The hubs and my parents are always super supportive, which is so nice. I also lean a lot on my crit buddies (and blogging buddies) when I'm having those bad days.

    ReplyDelete
  18. When you start to recognise that what you have been writing is crap, that's when you're starting to get good.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I depend on my writers group and blog friends. I have a hard time thinking of my writing as more than a hobby because that's how my family and work friends view it.

    But hey, we all gotta have an obsession, right?

    ........dhole

    ReplyDelete
  20. My hausband, my kids, my friends are all supportive. As are my blog friends. What I need is to find a writing and/or critique group.

    Great post, and I'm glad I came over here to follow you from Tina Lynn and Tiffany Neal's blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The hubs is supportive for the most part, the nine-year-old & the toddler demand, "If you get published you WILL buy us a trampoline, and "champoleen" respectively ;). My best friend is prob the main reason I started writing again and I will forever be grateful to her for that.

    My Crit Partner Tiffany Neal is my cheerleader, couldn't do it without her and I don't know how I did before her :) And, my blog/ twitter writing friends are my rocks- that's for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete