Pages

Monday, April 5, 2010

Roller Coaster Monday

Ugh! Let me tell ya, 6:00 a.m. was a rude awakening for me! See, my kids were out on Spring Break last week and we kinda sorta got into a bad habit of staying up late and sleeping in late. Please don't throw rocks at me - we're just night owls around here:) Anyways, I dragged my poor, sleep deprived butt out of bed and went about the fun tasks of getting myself somewhat presentable, acting like a drill sergeant in order to make the oldest child get herself ready, and helping the middle child with her morning routine while trying to keep her awake.

Now I did make sure the kids were in bed at a reasonable time last night, but I didn't collapse into sleep mode until around the 1:00 a.m.-ish hour. Being that yesterday was Easter and I spent all day with the family, I didn't get any quality "me" time to write until late last night. Then I had to cut a lot of words that I labored over on Saturday and still meet my 500 words a day goal because I have to answer to my fabulous crit partner/slave driver
Tina Lynn. (Check out her writing challenge at her blog - she will hold you accountable!)

**Hold for a moment - having to help the middle child with a homework problem*

So....where was I at? Um, yeah, I was telling you about my glamorous morning. Okay, getting to the point here. My wonderful, angelic sister-in-law took pity on me yesterday and offered to babysit the youngest for me today! I was so excited because I that would give me about six hours to write and blog or check out Twitter. With no distractions!!! So I dropped her off, raced back home and....fell asleep. And I didn't just nap for an hour or two - I slept for FOUR hours. Yeah, I know, I was ticked at myself. All that precious time wasted because I was exhausted.

And because I was so mad at myself, I ignored my writing. Yeah, I know, that was stupid, but I needed to get myself together because I felt awful for sleeping so long this morning. But it turned out to be a good thing because I happened to check out
Frankie Diane's blog and I found out that I won her contest!!!!!! Yup, you read that correctly - I am going to receive a personalized signed copy of The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting!

Okay, I was on a high. I mean, I squealed like a little girl when I found out I won, so I'm glad nobody was home with me at the time. I checked out some more blogs and left the house while still in a good mood around 2:30 to pick up the girls from school. But an hour later I was ticked again. My car broke down FIVE times on the way home. FIVE times. I would go a few miles, the car would suddenly lose power, and I would have to pull over on the side of the road for a few minutes before it would start again. My hubs knew about it yesterday (said something about the fuel filter needed to be changed) but he told me it would be okay to pick up the kids. So a few angry phone calls later, I made sure said filter would be changed today.

So that's my roller coaster day so far. I seriously hope that the rest of the day is peaceful and uneventful. How has Monday been treating you? Let me know!!!

12 comments:

  1. Wow. My Monday was a lot more quiet than yours. :) That's because today is the start of my spring break. Congrats on your win and I hope the car is running better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww sweets, I'm sorry today didn't go as you'd hoped it would. At least you did get some sleep though, since you so clearly needed it =)

    My day was spent writing my dumb American literature essay. But now it's done, so I guess I can't complain too much. Just one more term paper to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eww, sorry to hear about the car. Last time that happened to me, the timing belt had snapped. Not fun.

    This Monday's been good for me. My in-laws are coming to visit tomorrow, so I whipped the house into the cleanest it's been since we moved in a month ago...I'm exhausted, but happy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kids have 3 weeks off for spring break so next Monday will be just like this only worse because we've fallen further out of habit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...my Monday seems so mundane compared to all that. I went to work at 6:00....worked...went to the healthclub at 4:30...ran...came home and I'm eating a bowl of cereal while reading your blog.

    Like I said...mundane! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, don't feel bad! You probably needed the rest.

    I didn't hit 500 words yesterday. I was too ashamed to update last night, but finally went ahead and admitted it this evening. *hangs head.*

    I DID make up for it today, though. (Well, not completely. It isn't like I wrote 1000 words today.)

    Anyway, don't beat yourself up over the extended nap. You deserved it. And, you're probably feeling all rested and ready to write today. Plus -- just think of it. Someday in the not-so-far-off future (because time flies!) all your little ones will go to school, and you'll have the whole day to write! :)

    Congrats on your contest win!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sleep was totally needed, missy! Just take it. You'll be better for the rest of week because of that four hours. And I so know what you are talking about with the hubby. They can be so infuriating sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the win! I hope tomorrow is less stressful. Yuck to Mondays.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know how you feel about a change in sleep pattern! I wake up early one day a week to drive to my impossibly far away part time job at the university. All the other days I teach at a community music school at night. Let me tell you that one day a week I feel like I have the flu!

    Good luck getting back into your pattern and congrats on winning the free signed book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You should never feel guilty for sleeping. Never.

    That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh man! That is a roller coaster ride! I hope the rest of the day was more relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's just one of those days not meant for writing.

    ReplyDelete