Pages

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Tunnel Vision

So a few days ago, I was driving through a town about 30 miles from where live and I stopped at the red light in the center of said town. Now my sister lives there, but I didn't have any plans to see her that day - I was just passing through. I went through the light and a few minutes later my cell phone started ringing. I answered it and heard my sister laughing on the other end.
Me: What's so funny?

Sis: Didn't you see me at the light?

Me: *Pretty sure a puzzled look is on my face as I try to remember if I saw her* Nooooo. I thought you had to work today.

Sis: I do. I was on the way to work and I was waving like crazy at you. Didn't see me, huh?

Me: *Thinking Duh* No, I wasn't paying attention.

Sis: Figures.

So now you know - I do not pay attention to my surroundings when I'm driving. I focus on the road ahead of me and not much else. Yeah, I know that's a dangerous way of traveling, but that's how I roll. For years, I've had people tell me that they always wave at me when they see me but I rarely wave back. It's not that I'm a snob (I promise that I'm not!), but I don't look around.

And that's not a good thing. When I'm the passenger, I love looking around and taking in the scenery. Observing places that are different from the ones I have to look at every single day is actually fun, but unfortunately I don't do it too much when I'm the one in charge of driving.

So....what does this have to do with writing? Well, I've realized that I've been doing the same thing with my WIP. I've been so focused on the end result that I've started to ignore the scenery around me. My kids and hubby started to complain a lot. Things like I love my computer more than them (ouch!) and that I'm going to turn into a vampire if I don't get outside more.

So I've cut back. My blogging has slacked off, as well as my commenting, and my word count is nowhere where I want it to be, but that's okay. I'm not a published author, so I don't have to rush and finish things on a deadline. I'm still learning the craft, so it's fine if I take my time. Sure, I want to be finished with this thing, but my family has to come first.

So do you have tunnel vision with your writing? Do you focus on it too much at times, or have you figured out the perfect balance? Because if you have please let me know;)

18 comments:

  1. YES. I have such tunnel vision. Especially right now in revisions. But my husband does try to help keep me balanced--like Sunday nights are our funday nights. And he makes me eat dinner... you know, stuff like that, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think one of the hardest things about being a writer is to find a balance with family. I've struggled with the same things, but I think I'm finally there. Good luck finding your balance! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You get a whole tunnel?? I'm looking through the friggin looking glass. My wife understands though and I make it up to my son on the weekends.

    No pain...no gain...no publish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. God, yes! Thankfully my husband is really understand. He has total faith that my writing is going to make me rich so I can pay him back (for all the neglect) with a sportscar...!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got in trouble for the same thing last year! Now my husband and I have an agreement that if I get a "look" while I'm on, I've been on too long.

    As for not waving back, I do the same thing when I'm walking but don't wear my distance glances. I'm the tiniest bit blind (vain), so I only use them for the car and TV.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No balance here though I am trying to be better. I think I might be making some progress. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yup. I get into tunnel mode at times. I don't have a hubby or kids so it's easy for me to slip away from the real word for long periods of time.

    Always put your family first. They are SO important.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My tunnel vision goes in spurts. I've slacked off a bit now, and it's a nice break. But I'm going to get back to work soon. No rushing for me. :)

    It's funny that you didn't see your sister at the light. It sounds exactly like me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm spastic so it comes and goes. For a week or two I'll have complete tunnel vision and then for a month after that I won't have it at all! I'm like a crazy person! I know you're not a rude person, you're too awesome! Sometimes we are just too consumed with our own thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do that, too! I always focus on the main plot and then I don't have any subplots!

    And I never see people around me when I drive. I think you should be focused on the road!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's always a jolt when you get brought back to reality that is your real life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. No perfect balance here! Just a continuing struggle among all the things that need attention. Usually it's my spouse who calls me back to the real world :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes yes yes! This is me, too. My family has been very good about it, but I have to do better. I've tried (which is why I don't blog nearly as often as I once did), but it is hard sometimes. I'm a driven (eh hemm, some might say obsessive) person. So hard to maintain a balance.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yerp. I totally goofed up in this same way lately. I've been doing the same. Backing off and hanging with the fam a bit more. Who knows? It may help the writing:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. There's no one home during the day when I write, so I can have tunnel vision as much as I like. But in the evening, when I want to relax, my other half is writing and I'm sure I interrupt his tunnel vision!

    ReplyDelete
  17. YES!! Guilty.

    Balance is a wobbly tightrope act.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would kill for tunnel vision. I also teach and have a baby, so I'm very easily distracted and have a hard time making time for my blog, my writing, and myself.

    ReplyDelete