Pages

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

What I Learned From LOST

Yes, I was one of those millions of viewers who tuned in for the big LOST finale. This post is not a recap of the episode or an analysis, but my thoughts on why I loved the show so much.

I've heard a lot of people (and my hubby is one) say that they lost interest in LOST after two or three seasons because they were, well, lost. They couldn't understand where the story was going or things didn't make sense. But that was one of the things I actually liked about the show. It was that sense of what in the hell is going on and when are we going to find out that kept me going back week after week. Yeah, I'm weird like that:)

And another thing that kept me glued to the set, threatening anybody who dared to talk to me during the episode with bodily harm (just kidding!), was how the relationships evolved between the characters. I actually started to care for them and wanted them find their way off that island just as much as they did. Ya'll, I bawled during the episode a few weeks ago in which three major characters died in the space of a few minutes (I was the only one awake so I let the tears flow). And during the finale, my hubs was awake and I wanted to bawl again, but I sucked it up (he would have given me so much grief if he had seen me do that).

Now a lot of folks have complained that a lot of questions were not answered during the finale. Sure, I was irked because I wanted to know all of that stuff, too. But I didn't let that take away from my overall enjoyment. What was more important to me was that the characters were allowed to have a "happy" ending. Now that doesn't mean that I want all stories to have happy endings, but I wanted these particular characters to have one because of all the bad things that had happened to them on the show.

So, yeah, I'm gonna go through LOST withdrawl for a while. (I did when Battlestar Galactica ended, too.) But I'll live:) And hopefully, I'll find another show and plenty of books that have characters who are equally entertaining and enthralling soon.

So are there any books, t.v. shows or movies that have characters that you have fallen in love with?

14 comments:

  1. I'm a LOST fan as well. I watched every episode from the start. The finale left me with a pensive, melancholy feeling. But it was nice to see them all reunited: especially Charlie and Claire.

    It was the characters and the relationships that made Lost so awesome. I totally agree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved 'Six Feet Under'! I was so sad when it ended.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mirror your feelings Melissa! I was so angry a couple weeks ago when the deaths you mentioned took place, but the finale paved a way for a happy ending to emerge. It wasn't a perfect ending...but it was one I found satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Friday Night Lights.

    Seriously, I can't get enough. I CRAVE it. I feel like I know them.

    Awkward...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never loved a show the way I loved LOST.

    Le sigh.

    The only other shows that give me joy are reality shows, and all the good ones have ended.

    Well, I will look forward to the next season of Dexter. Wonder when that starts?!

    (And, yeah. I cried four different times during the LOST finale.) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you all. I watched the finale again today and it was infinitely more satisfying knowing what the flashsideways was all about.

    It was always about the characters. I read an interview with someone who worked on the production team. He said the ending, basically from the moment Jack touched the coffin, was written six years ago. Right after the pilot episode aired.

    I've always believed the producers knew where this show was going from the get go. Glad to see they followed through.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Criminal Minds, I'm addicted to the show, I am constantly wanting to know more. I own the first two seasons and hope soon to grab the others, but they never go down in price!!

    Then I'm addicted to The Real Housewives, but that is for obvious reasons (the need for constant drama in my life, that I'm not getting daily)

    Hehe I never watched Lost which is why I'm probably always lost when it comes to the conversation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Posts like this make me wish I had gotten into Lost.

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aubrie - Yay! Another Lost fan! I was a little sad to see the ending and just a little confused, but overall I loved it.

    Talli - I never saw that one.

    DL - Yes! That's exactly how i feel:)

    LiLu - Nothing awkward about that:)

    Amber - I wanted to cry during the finale, but the hubs was sitting there and I'm NOT gonna do that in front of him. I just had to wipe the tears away as quickly as possible.

    Matt - I hadn't heard that about the producers always knowing about the very end. At least they did follow through:)

    Jen - I've never watched those shows...I've limited myself to just a few so I've had to overlook a lot of shows that I would have otherwise loved to watch.

    Shannon - Oh, you would love it! Or maybe not:) Have a great weekend, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Once in a great while I'll fall in love with a book and dread the end. I really strive to write characters like that. Is there a magic formula? "cause of there is I want in!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree--I'll be mourning for a bit too. Lost was the perfect example of incredible writing. They made me CARE about those characters in a way I never have before (on TV anyway). The series had highs and lows--I was the kind of viewer who never tried to think too hard about Lost, I just watched for entertainment. I was prepared to HATE the finale, but I ended up loving it. It was the perfect end to an amazing series for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know what you mean about being addicted a show and feeling that sense of loss when a show ends! I felt that way about Veronica Mars - I was so in love with the characters. And I know I'll hate when Doctor Who ends, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. T.Anne - If you find that magic formula, please let me know:)

    LiLa - I'm so glad I'm not alone there! I admit I was a little disappointed with the finale because I wanted some more answers, but overall it was emotionally satisfying.

    Guinevere - I'm a big fan of Dr. Who, too! Unfortunately we no longer get BBC America, so I hope the new episodes make their way to the Syfy channel soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It was the characters and the relationships that made Lost so awesome. I totally agree.
    Adsense Alternative

    ReplyDelete