Pages

Thursday, June 10, 2010

A Forgotten Gift

I was cleaning out my desk a few days ago and I found something that a dear friend gave me years ago just before I graduated from college. She knew that I was having doubts about being a teacher and that I really *wanted* to be a writer. I can't remember if this was a graduation, Christmas, or birthday gift (sorry, severe mommy brain prevents me from remembering these kinds of details), but I remember how I felt when I received it. Relief. Gratitude. Happiness.

So what was the gift? It was a framed quote. Now I can hear some of you - Yeah, yeah, so what? What's the big deal?

Well, it's the quote itself. I have no idea who the author is, but it was so inspiring to me. It said:

If you imagine, you can begin. If you believe, you can achieve. If you start now, you can fulfill...your dreams.

Pretty cool, huh? I was relieved because someone finally understood that I had a dream and it wasn't stupid of me to want to pursue it. I felt gratitude because she was the first person to get that dream. And I was happy because it made me feel that my dream wasn't some childish fantasy.

I used to have that quote next to my computer, and I'm not sure how it was lost in all of the junk in my desk - I'm gonna blame the kiddos:) But now I have it proudly diplayed again next to my laptop.

So do you have anything that inspires you? Have you ever had somebody help you realize that your dreams are valid?

10 comments:

  1. This reminds me of a quote by Langston Hughes:

    "Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly..."

    We all need our dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. It's that last line that particularly rings true. Dreams will remain dreams as long as we don't take charge and start making them a reality. If we keep putting that off until tomorrow, it's never going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good quote! I have an award for you on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always ask myself, "Why not you?" And go from there. I mean, why not me?

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was a baby I sucked on my mothers breast. Every day since I try to suck a little bit less. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. K.M. - Yes, the last line is my absolute favorite!

    Faith - Thank you!

    Elana - That is so very true. Why not me?

    DL - Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh gosh, I LOVE when these things happen. There's just nothing like stumbling upon a lost treasure. Happy day indeed! And OMG, what a sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Juliancu - That is true:)

    Carol - IKR, it was like finding gold. Well, not gold exactly, but ya know, it was pretty cool finding it again.

    ReplyDelete