Pages

Monday, August 30, 2010

Speculative Fiction Rocks

I've never been drawn to books, t.v. shows, or movies that deal with ordinary things.  Give me something weird, something unusual, something fantastic.  Why?  I guess it's because, to me, real life can be rather boring sometimes.  Don't get me wrong, I love my family and friends, but I need an escape outlet when seeking entertainment:) 

So I guess that I'm drawn to anything under the speculative fiction umbrella.  Aliens, space travel, time travel, dystopias, ghosts, angels, faeries, and zombies all rock my world. (I'm getting tired of the vampires/werewolves thing.)  It's the element of the unknown, taking an ordinary person in ordinary circumstances and throwing them smack dab in the middle of something extraordinary that gets my blood to pumping.

If you could look at my bookshelf you'd see The Hunger Games trilogy, The Gemma Doyle series, The Mortal Instruments series, The Dead-Tossed Waves, The Forest of Hands and Teeth, Life As We Knew It (and the two sequels), Hex Hall and so on, with only a few contemporary titles spaced out.

This isn't something I've latched onto recently - I've always gravitated toward the strange and unusual.  (Hmmm...does that make me strange and unusual? )  Anyway, I remember when I was little, I LOVED watching Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, all of the Indiana Jones movies, and Poltergeist.  Yeah, strange pickings for a kid, much less a female.  My friends thought I was weird, but oh well, it's what I liked. 

So what kinds of things do you like to read or what types of t.v. shows/movies do you tend to watch? Any suggestions for me to read/watch? (And I'm not a snob toward other genres - I'm willing to  check out anything if I get a recommendation.) Thanks!

15 comments:

  1. I'm with you. I was always drawn more to fantasy and fairy tales than I was to realistic books. I live in reality. I prefer books that make me escape it. I guess that's why I write Fantasy now. ;)

    Sorry I haven't been around in a while, btw. LOVE the new blog look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so with you as well. The first books I ever loved were C.S. Lewis Narnia. I've always been drawn the weird quirky things. My shelf looks very similar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto, though I do read lots of "regular" fiction. Take all those movies and add Star Trek to them, and that was my childhood. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm the same way. I only like a few "regular" books. Even then, that's a recent thing of mine. I prefer books that take me away from this world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love any shows that are forensics and mystery involved. Though it's real, it's sometimes so strange, you can't believe it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen, sister. Sounds like we have the same taste in escapes. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I prefer fantasy/scifi to any other genre and I've always been that way...not sure why. My favourite books are the Harry Potter series and the Sword of Truth series (by Terry Goodkind).

    Right now I'm absolutely addicted the True Blood on tv...it has everything fantasy in it and it is so cleverly done, I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My tastes are wide and varied. However, reading wise, it wasn't until recently that I've really been drawn to contemporary YA. But now that I've read a few titles, I love it! My new wip is even a contemp.

    ReplyDelete
  9. YES! Add me to the fantasy geek list. Our bookshelves probably have a lot of the same books. As a kid I really was only interested in an ordinary person who could do something extraordninary. Probably why I love Superman. As September approaches, I'm eagerly anticipating the return of Fringe, Vampire Diaries and Smallville. But right now, my favorite show on television is Burn Notice. Not really in the fantasy/sci-fi world as it's about a blacklisted spy, but most of the stuff done on that show is unbelievable. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always loved sci-fi, fantasy & dystopian too. In high school I was introduced to 1984, Fahrenheit 451, Brave New World... fell in love :)

    If you haven't seen the Firefly/Serenity tv series/movie combo you'd probably love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm draw to the more interesting and think outside the box type of novels and shows. That doesn't mean I don't fall back on my favorite style of genre.

    I love Criminal Minds & In Plain Sight... those types of shows are really interesting to me.

    I love chick lit novels, especially by Susan Elizabeth Phillips, and everything you listed I am in love with (minus the Hunger Games... I haven't read them so I can't be in love yet, LOL)

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Er, I'm not with you! :)I'll give anything a try and I did go through a prolonged sci-fi phase but I'm more drawn to the usual stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so with you on this! But I do have to say that I have started reading contemporary YA, and it is pretty awesome too.

    Love the pic, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I blinked and your blog is redesigned! It's absolutely lovely. I'm with you--I was a huge fan of Star Wars as a kid, and I'm tickled to see my son being drawn to them too.

    My absolute favorite books of all time would have to be anything my Mart Stewart or Barbara Michaels. Mystery, hint of paranormal, suspense, and strong female characters--awesome!

    —Portia

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a sucker for chick lit, but I'm also drawn to paranormal stuff (especially anything about psychics or mediums)... I guess you could say I have split personalities with my reading tastes.

    ReplyDelete