Pages

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Reasons I'm Glad I Don't Have a Book Deal (Yet)

I'm not going to lie - I want to be published.  Sure, I write because I love it.  Isn't that why all writers write? (Because chances are we're not going to get rich by it).  Anyways, I've been focused on finishing my WIP and jumping into the madness of Query-land and let me tell you it's stressful.  I've been putting too much pressure on myself. Not a good thing.

And then I had an epiphany.  Why am I doing this to myself?  Shouldn't I enjoy this part of the writing journey?  So here's my list of why I should be thankful I don't have a published book.

1.  No pesky agent or editor breathing down my neck.  That's right, I answer to no one right now. I mean, having one of those is almost like having another boss! *shudders*

2.  No pesky agent or editor means I have all the time in the world to work on my WIP!  I can finish it in a few months if I want, or I can take a few years.  It's up to me. (Alright, I admit the second does involve lots of procrastination).

3.  No deadlines!

4.  No bad reviews!

5.  I have the freedom to write what I want, when I want! Nobody can tell me I can't write a YA Vampire/Angel/Werewolf love story! (Complete with SPARKLES!)

6.  I can abuse ! and ( ) to my heart's content!

7.  And.....I'm drawing a blank!  Give me a number 7!  What's a good reason to be thankful for not having a book deal (yet)?

25 comments:

  1. Definitely enjoy this time! As happy as I am to have a book coming out soon, it is super stressful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on all the things you don't have to do yet. Still, looking forward to having that stress.


    7. No hoards of stalkers, waiting outside your house, sifting through your trash, looking for snippets of your next book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent points, and a good reminder for us to enjoy our time before representation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't agree more! And often, due to these very reasons, I wonder why so many people are so rabid to get on the published train. Obviously, I understand it's a dream, but I guess for myself it's more about the writing--journey v. destination, say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Matt had a great number seven!;)

    Though I will be honest... at this point in the game, I want that darn deal already;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! Let's see a #7

    The hope that you will be published one day... Hope is a driving force ;o) You still don't know how you will percieved, whether your book will be big or not, you can still dream about it and it's not a reality yet ;o)

    Nice attitude to have! You'll get there... ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Number seven...how about you can fool around online with your friends and don't have to feel guilty for not writing:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh.. you're so right... these are great ways of looking at it!!

    Umm... #7... I'm drawing a blank too... maybe just a sum up of everything you said - no stress! The only stress we have right now is the stress we put on ourselves :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So true! And we all(unpublisheds) SHOULD be enjoying this time more than stressing. We have all the time in the world to stress when we get published. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great way of looking at the glass.

    #7: Ability to change the WiP midstream if it suits you. =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that's a great way to look at it! It's how I do too... I appreciate the freedom at this point in our careers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent points!! Never thought about the bright side to being unpublished :D

    Here's to sparkly vampire/werewolves/angels!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You don't have to leave your family to go on a tour. Oh, wait, I'm not sure if that's a reason or not.

    ReplyDelete
  14. no wrist cramps from signing hundreds of books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with these points. My dream was to be published and now I realize my time is more constrained and I'm under more stress.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hehe. Absolutely. I'm loving your positive spin! It's so true, too. I need to remind myself of this. There's not enough pressure on us without us adding to our own burden.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just stumbled across your blog, and i'm glad I did! I've been thinking about these same things recently, as I'm in the same place you are. There really are so many things to be grateful for right now-- thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love these reasons! Especially the ! and (). I don't know what number seven would be, the others sum it up pretty well. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amen to that! I really want to be published, one day. But right now, it's not the time for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Way to sing it from the rooftops girl!!! Take the path you've been given, the step you're at, embrace, enjoy it, love it... because soon you'll have deadlines and agents knocking at your door demanding the brilliance in less time!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good points. I still think having those things are better though, lol *dreams*

    ReplyDelete
  22. You don't need to hack time into your busy holiday schedule to partake in a book signing! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are really, really great points! Being published one day is a great thing to aspire to, but the journey itself -- and all the stress-free time that comes with it -- is a great thing to enjoy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. No deadlines! Love that one the most. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great point! Thanks for posting this...I'm in the same boat right now.

    ReplyDelete