Pages

Monday, October 4, 2010

You Wrote How Much Blogfest

A few weeks ago, Patti Nielson had a cool idea for a blogfest. Starting Monday, September 27th, participants were supposed to write down every minute spent writing or editing until Friday, October 1st.  So I said to myself "Hey, maybe I'll get a few chapters knocked out of the way if I do this."   I'd been stuck revising chapter 3 for quite a while, so I thought this would force me to power through it.  Well, just take a look at my times.


Monday, Sept. 27  - 1 hour 
Tuesday, Sept. 28  - 45 minutes 
Wednesday, Sept 29  - 1 hour 25 minutes 
Thursday, September 30  - 1 hour, 45 minutes 
Friday, October 1  - 4 hours (Yay!)


Okay, so I was weak the first four days.  I wasted lots of time checking blogs, Twitter, and e-mail during the day.  Now it's  hard for me to write during the day anyway because of my extremely energetic toddler, but to be honest, if I had really tried I could have squeezed more time in by limiting my time on the Net.  I know because that's what I did Friday.  I allowed myself to read exactly five blogs, check Twitter once for ten minutes, and check e-mail once in the morning and again after my writing was done.  As a result, I'm happy to report that I did finish the pesky chapter 3!  One of my problems during the week was that I kept staring, thinking, typing, deleting, and staring some more.  Yep, the joys of revising.  But it's done and my CPs have it, so on to the next chapters (finally).


What do you think about keeping track of your writing time?   Have you ever tried this?  If so, does it work for you?

12 comments:

  1. Four hours! Fantastic, Melissa!

    I always have set writing times because without that I faff around too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I MUST set writing times where I am absent from the world. Unfortunately, I learned the hard way that "the world" must include the Internet. That is probably my biggest distractor! You've done a great job!! Awesome blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Four hours is great, but so is writing a little bit everyday and more importantly you got chapter 3 done.

    Thanks for participating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woohoo Mel! Its amazing you got any writing done with that 2 yr old of yours. Phew. It makes me tired just hearing about your day LOL =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you! I didn't do quite so well, but I'm trying again this week. So far, I'm off to a much better start.

    ReplyDelete
  6. keeping track definitely works for me. The blogfest helped me a lot to realise I was writing/editing more than I realised.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never done this, and truthfully, I would be scared to see my writing times lately. They've been lacking. But, in theory, it is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Way to go, Melissa! Congrats on conquering chapter 3. Hope you have another great writing week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow look at you rocking it out!!! I'm impressed!!!

    I'm not much for tracking time! I'm very impressed with others that do it but I find that I spend more time watching the time then actually writing during that time!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this idea. Good job, especially on Friday! Any day spent writing any amount is a good day. However, if I actually recorded the time I spent writing versus the time I spent networking I'm sure it would not be pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know, I've never tried this. I think it sounds like a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I set a timer when I'm writing. I like to know how much I write per session.

    ReplyDelete