Pages

Saturday, January 15, 2011

*Insert Catchy Title Here*

Sorry for the lack of title - I've been sick for the past few days and the constant crappy feeling and lack of sleep have destroyed the creative brain cells. (Not permanently I hope;)  Anyway, I wanted to share a few things with you since I didn't blog this past week.

1. PSA - Back up your files!  Don't be like me and backup once every.....whenever and wake up one morning to find your hard drive has crashed.  Yep, happened to me.  Luckily my sister let me borrow her laptop until I got mine fixed, but I wanted to curl up and die a little inside when I checked my flash drive and realized I hadn't backed up my WIP lately.  Much love and hugs and cupcakes to my wonderful CP Tina Lynn who had the chapters I thought I'd lost forever.

2.  I'm participating in the What's Your Process Blogfest this Tuesday, January 18th.  Shallee at Life, the Universe, and Writing is hosting it.  You can blog about any part of your writing process - how you develop characters, how you push through a rough draft, how you plot a novel, how you edit, or anything else you can think of to share.  Sign the linky at her blog if you'd like to participate.

3.  Speaking of the writing process, I read this blog post by Janice Hardy that made me go DOH! (I srsly did NOT realize that Kitchen Table Convo scenes were so cliche! Ugh!)  Anyway, it really helped me to generate some ideas for getting my characters out of the kitchen (Yes, I did have two characters having a convo at the kitchen table. *facepalm*)  Now that I'm thoroughly embarrassed for sharing that, check out the post.  It's great!

So what's been happening with you this week?  Have you learned anything new?  Do you have any news to share?

12 comments:

  1. I hope you feel better, Melissa. I'm one of those who seriously needs to back up my stuff. I just need to find the time to do it. Perhaps your advice would be to do it now, hmm?

    Take care,
    -Jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you are feeling better soon. Somehow I missed flu and such the past few years, knock on wood. Whenever I finish a major edit, I email the file to myself, just in case. My simple way to back up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness for critiques partners! I'm glad you didn't lose your work!
    And thanks for the great link; really interesting post about the kitchen table conversation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank goodness for Tina! She's the best. Man, I GET your relief. I've been there. And I've lost stuff without recovery. It's painful.

    Cool link! I'll have to check it out. I think we all fall into the cliche traps. It helps to have a list break it down for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My laptop had a melt down last summer - took me 3 weeks to get it back. Thankfully when it came all my files were okay. Since then I've been MUCH better at backing up :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a backer-upper.

    I have a few kitchen table convos. I don't think I overdo them, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the reminder to back up my stuff. Doing it ... now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No news. But I hope you have a fantastic week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the reminder! It really is time to back up my files. That's interesting about the kitchen table convo clique, I didn't know that either. And I've never read a scene in a book with a kitchen table convo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for mentioning that last tidbit. I have a scene at the kitchen table, too. Guess I'll have to rewrite that one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you're feeling a little better today!

    Thanks for the link. Janice rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I back up religiously! I've had too many close calls to do anything else.

    Hope you feel better soon! It seems like the entire blogosphere came down with a cold lately. :)

    ReplyDelete