Pages

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

On Staying Positive

Sorry I've been absent.  I'm sick (yet again), and I've been in a bit of a slump lately.  So the brain cells haven't been cooperating when it comes to the blog.  So I found one of my posts from last January that pretty much sums up what I've been doing to drag myself back to the land of sunshine and rainbows. I've added some additional thoughts in blue to show what I've been up to:)

For my post today, I want to discuss ways to stay positive when you hit a slump. Since I went through one of these recently, I've had the opportunity to try several different things. Some of the ones that I tried that did help are as follows:

1. Get out of the house. Staying inside and dwelling on the negative will just make things seem so much worse than they really are. Very true. Plus, the weather has been great here for the past few weeks. So I've been outside with the kiddos a lot more. They even got me to swing with them!

2. Read a book. It's true. When you can lose yourself in someone else's adventures/loves/woes, you can forget about your own problems for a while. I was at good ol' Wal-Mart yesterday and I decided to browse the book section. I scored Darkness Becomes Her by Kelly Keaton, which I've been wanting to read. So far, it's wonderful!

3. Watch a great movie/t.v. program. Much like reading a book, you can immerse yourself in someone else's life or even learn something new. (Got an idea to help me with my current WIP by doing this, too) I' I forgot how much I love Glee. I hadn't watched any episodes since December, but I had a Glee marathon last Friday. I seriously laughed so much that my side hurt (I can't help but love Sue).

4. Visit writing-related blogs. Perhaps I did this too much, but visiting blogs of fellow writers always makes me feel better. I can get inspiration, advice, or even a good laugh from ya'll. Sorry I've been slacking on this lately. I'll get around soon!

5. Spend time with family and friends. It's tempting to want to sit and think about your WIP all of the time when you're in a slump, but sometimes you just need to step away and live your life. And nobody knows you better than your family and friends, so go out and interact with them. And who knows, you may pick up just the right snippet of conversation or observe something brilliant that will get the creative juices flowing again. Again, so very true. I've been spending more outside time with the kids, with other family members, and I even got my husband to take me out on a date night. I loved getting to have some kid-free time, and the writer in me was thrilled with the weird conversations I overheard.

These are just a few things I've tried, but there are many more out there. What have you done to stay positive during a slump?

10 comments:

  1. These are great tips. I get out of the house and take a walk, something I should do much more often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely getting out of the hosue and away from the computer helps me a lot. Hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's some healing energies. Yes, all the above. Getting out of the house isn't the easiest when you feel so low. Reading books do help a lot they say and the T.V.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'm going to combine #1 and #5 today. It's sunny and beautiful, a great day for a walk to clear my head and visit with the hubs. Thanks for the encouragement and the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of these on our my list! Especially getting out of the house and spending time with family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are really great!! Sorry you're sick! I hope you feel better soon and climb out of that slump!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I hope you're feeling better as I type my comment! And thanks for the tips. Yeah, getting out of the house really helps me, too! And family time? <333 it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, hey....I'm giving away the arc of DIVERGENT I won on Veronica's blog if you're still interested! The book is awesome!

    http://freckle-head.blogspot.com/2011/02/arc-contest-divergent.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I go for long walks to clear my head and energize my body.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a hard time staying positive in the winter as well. I'm glad you're conquering it, and you've given me some great ideas too!
    Laura
    Www.laurahoward78.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete