Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Why Did You Buy That Book?

There are many books released each year. I'd love to buy more than I already do, but funds are limited and I have to make choices on what I would probably like the most. Most of the time when I have the chance to visit a bookstore, I already have a book in mind that I want to purchase. But there are times that I don't have a clue what I'm looking for. It's those rare occasions that I get to wander around the bookstore and browse. So I fall back on looking at covers and reading the inside jacket to decide if I want to take a chance on a particular story. On the occasions that I already know what I want to buy, I usually make my decision based on reviews I've seen on the Internet. If I've read a review and the book looks like something I would enjoy, I'll take a chance on it. Sometimes I'll buy a book if I follow the author on Twitter (or their blog) and he/she seems like a genuinely nice person that I want to support. Also, if I've read other books by an author and I loved them, I'm more than likely to buy their newest books (especially if they're part of a series). Here are a few books I got recently that I haven't read yet (or I've just started reading) and the reasons why I purchased them.


I purchased Demonglass yesterday. This is the second book in the Hex Hall series by Rachel Hawkins. I LOVED Hex Hall! I've been waiting for this release for a long time.



I saw a review on a blog (sorry I can't remember which one) that had a glowing review of Shade by Jeri Smith-Ready. I thought it would be something I would like and decided to get it when it was released.


Need by Carrie Jones is one I purchased on one of those trips to B & N in which I didn't have a clue what I wanted to get. The cover grabbed my attention first and when I read the jacket copy, I knew I had to get it.



I follow Lisa and Laura Roecker and Kim Harrington's blogs and I stalk  follow them on Twitter, too. Even though I don't know them personally, they seem like genuinely nice people and I wanted to support them by buying The Liar Society and Clarity. Plus, their books sound amazing, not to mention I love the gorgeous covers!

So what are some books you purchased recently?  Why did you decide to buy those particular books?

14 comments:

  1. Looks like you've bought some awesome books. I really want to get my hands on that Need book!

    Most of the books I've been reading lately are to get me in the mood for my current WIP, so they might not be the most exciting, but I get so sidetracked if I don't.

    The most recent book that I got was Across the Universe. Why not? It was all the rage :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been waiting on a few of the one's you have listed here! I recently bought The Clearing by Anne Riley because it sounds awesome and she rocks. Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been behaving myself and going to the library. BUT. I think I'll be purchasing Demonglass and Liar Society soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of great YA reads out right now. It's great to know I don't have to be a teen to read them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still need to read Hex Hall already!!! Man. Sounds like we book shop the same. (That's exactly how I got NEED too!) I need unlimited book funds...the last two are need-to-be-bought's...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun books! I'm going to buy Demonglass because I loved Hex Hall so very much, and I'm going to a Rachel Hawkins signing on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are definitely books I've been wanting to read as well. Most of my book purchases are definitely based on online reviews and interactions -- I can't remember how I used to buy books before knowing the online community.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, cool! Loved seeing your reasons behind your purchases. That's like a PR persons dream, to understand how people are buying. I'm not a PR person, but it is interesting anyway. Great book selections!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've bought so many books recently, but I do remember how I came about buying them.

    I follow authors on social media, I look at Amazon suggestions, and I also get blog recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I looks like we have the same taste in books, lol! I mean, I really want to read those! I wish my day was longer, tho!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love when I can wander around browsing. Usually I'm on the hunt for a friend's book, and I love reading those. It's very exciting to read work by people you know. But it's just as fun to choose new stuff by people I don't know, where the plot, etc ... catches my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait to read LiLa's book! These days, I tend to buy a lot of books by my Twitter pals. I'm also in the Romantic Novelists' Association here in the UK, and I try to support my fellow members as much as I can!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perfect timing for me to catch your post! I'm going to the bookstore tomorrow. Thanks for some great recommendations!

    I would spend hours browsing books in the YA section if I had the time. And I'm with you on supporting fellow bloggers and kind authors.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just got Demonglass today! I will probably get Clarity next.

    ReplyDelete