Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Reviving the Blog

Hey everybody! So...my hiatus went on a little longer than I planned. Okay, a lot longer:) I could say that I've been busy traveling the world and fun stuff like that, but that's not the case. I guess I just needed a break. Anyway, I'm excited to jump back into the blogosphere, and I'm really looking forward to catching up with you.

After a year and a half of working on my dystopian, I'm finally working on a new WiP.  I was completely burned out with the dystopian. It didn't even resemble the idea I started with (the idea I fell in love with), plus I felt like I was trying to make changes to please the market. Big mistake. So I figured it was time to shelve it. That was harder than I thought it would be. Way back in March, I toyed with  the idea of putting it aside for a while, but I was too stubborn to let go. Fast forward to June. After a little over a month of absolutely no writing, a wonderful thing happened. I had one of those Shiny New Ideas (got it from listening to the song If I Die Young by The Band Perry). Anyway, I made an outline, character sketches, found some inspiration pictures, and now I'm drafting again. I'd forgotten how much fun that could be! Currently, the new WiP is at a little over 13,000 words.

Also I'm not sure if you noticed, but my blog address now matches my pen name. It's been aggravating changing my fb page, twitter, and a few forums I visit, but I figured I needed to make the changes now rather than later.

So how have YOU been? I look forward to hearing from you!

20 comments:

  1. Welcome back to the world of blogging. I know exactly what you mean when you say your manuscript warped from its original theme to something you edited for the mass market. And good for you for stepping back to re-think that. That is often a hard but wise decision to make. Best of luck with your new WIP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trisha - At least I'm not the only one:) It was a very difficult lesson to learn, but learn from it I did. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh! 13000 shiny new words! That's a good chunk into it. Way to go! When I saw Hurst, I was confused. Thanks for clarifying. I can only imagine what a pain it's been to change everything. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nisa - Thank you! I'm really excited about this new project. And yes, it's been a headache changing everything to my pen name, but it would be better to just go ahead and get it over with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love If I Die Young. I agree it's very inspiring! Yay for working on new projects!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get your frustration with your dystopian. I just finished a revision of my first novel & am aiming to do one more spit & polish. I did start two WIPs tho, so am letting myself play a bit.

    If it was a big revision, I'd set it aside longer at this point, but it's just a polish thing. So, it shouldn't take too long. So, I say.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laura- Yes, it is. I've been listening to it almost every day since I started my new WiP, lol!

    M Pax - Good luck with the polish and your new WiPs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry your other WIP didn't work out. That's always frustrating to have to shelve something. It sounds like the new one is going well, though! And I LOVE your inspiration song-- one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shallee - Thank you:) It was harder than I thought to put the first WiP away, and yet at the same time it was a HUGE relief to do so (if that makes sense). But the new one has been so much fun to write. I'm glad I decided to work on it instead of the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome back! :) Congrats on getting to 13,000 words! That's about where I am with my current WIP. Hopefully we can both keep getting those words in, right? I'm excited to get to know you better!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome back to blogging. You sound refreshed and ready to go. :D

    Good luck with your shiny new project. I'll be joining you soon. I'm already collecting photos and doing research (when I can).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chantele - Thank you! Yes, I really hope we can crank some words out now:)

    Stina - Thank you! Sometimes a break does wonders for recharging creativity. Good luck with your new project:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey welcome back! And you're smart to shelve that story for awhile and gain some fresh perspective. Sometimes it's the best thing we can do. A new story always helps me look at the old ones with a renewed vision.:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pk - Thank you! You're exactly right. My new WiP has made me realize how much I've improved since I first started the old story. Maybe I'll go back to it one day, but for now it will remain shelved.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Melissa! It's great to see a blog from you!! I totally know what you mean about stalling out on a WIP. I was at about 10K in my WIP and just wasn't interested in moving forward with it. I finally had an epiphany about one of my main characters...I totally didn't know what his motivation was, why he was doing the things he was doing. Standing there at the kitchen sink, doing the dishes, it came to me, and now I'm more excited about the project than ever!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Penny! Yes, it's been forever since I blogged, lol! That's awesome about your WiP:) It makes the writing so much easier when you're excited about the project.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay! Im glad you're writing again! Sometimes we all just need a break (at least, that's what Ive been telling myself this summer...)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nat - Thank you! You're absolutely right. We all need a break sometimes. Hope you're writing again too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, its been a very long time since we've talked! Yep, I actually just started again today. Ive been so busy this summer with wedding plans etc...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lol, I don't miss planning for a wedding. So many decisions to make!

    ReplyDelete