Pages

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Sometimes You Need a Bribe

I've got a confession. I haven't written a thing since the beginning of December. *hangs head in shame* I've read over the last few chapters I've wrote I don't know how many times, but I can't keep going. Back in December, I told myself Self, it's the holiday season. And you just wrote 40K in November. TAKE A BREAK. But I'm having trouble ending that break. I still love my story. I need to finish. I want to finish. But but but...

Anyway, I used to teach. I have kids of my own. I know that sometimes they need a little motivation to get things done. So I'm going to apply that motivation to myself. That's right folks, I'm going to bribe myself to finish my book. Nothing huge, just some little things I've been wanting for a while but I haven't gotten around to doing/getting. And if you want to know, those things include:

Seems like everybody has a tumblr these days. #feelsleftout


I've never watched Downton Abbey and I keep hearing lots of people talking about how AMAZING it is. I REALLY want to watch an episode like NOW, but I won't until I finish my book. #criesalittle


Here's another series I want to check out. I've heard lots of good things about it. So I'll be watching it sometime soonish. #ihope

So there you have it. My bribes for myself. Have you  ever had to bribe yourself to do or finish something? What did you use as a reward?

20 comments:

  1. I don't know about the first two, but THE WALKING DEAD is a worthy bribe. Excellent series!! Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear that! I got the first season of TWD for Christmas and I can't wait to watch it.

      Delete
  2. I'm having the hardest time finishing my current novel but I find that the way for me to get through it is to write in small increments, even if this means I only write 100 words a day. Tumblr and Downton Abbey are both very addicting. I admit that I joined tumblr and started Downton Abbey while writing this novel and that probably didn't help, although they are some wonderful distractions. I tried watching The Walking Dead but I have a weak stomach. Good luck on your story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard Tumblr and DA are addicting. That's why I'm keeping away from them until I'm done with my current WiP. So hard because I want them both now!

      Delete
  3. I LOVE Downton Abbey! What a perfect reward to get yourself writing again. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen Downtown Abbey before so I'll have to check it out. I'm going to give you virtual kick in the butt. Get writing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh, I'm not alone! I thought I was the only one not watching DA, lol! And yes, yes, I'll get to writing;)

      Delete
  5. I've never even heard of Tumblr, so you're way ahead of me. I've been feeling the same way about Downtown Abbey. Now if only I can find a place to watch it on line and get caught up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I've got to find someplace online to watch it, too. I haven't even looked into that. I have the first season of TWD on dvd, though. And if you get on Twitter, you'll see lots of people tweeting links to their tumblrs. Of course, I usually click:)

      Delete
  6. Hubby and I love The Walking Dead! Sometimes bribing yourself can work if you´re going through a rough patch...After all motivation works in magical ways!
    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, Elodie! I'm hoping to finish things up in the next week or so, then on to edits. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Hey, no problem! We all need a little break from writing and real life gets in the way a lot of the time. Hope you enjoyed your break. I want to watch Downton Abbey SOOOO much. I love, love, love BBC productions. I just watched "He Knew He Was Right" (made me bawl, but it was great) and I'm watching "Lark Rise to Candleford" right now. Also, my brother got me The Walking Dead Season 1 for Christmas so I'm gonna watch it soon - will let you know how it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I love BBC shows, too! I'll have to check those out.

      Delete
  8. I haven't written a word either, and I didn't even do NaNo so I have no excuse! I think I'll have to bribe myself too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not alone, lol! Let me know what you're going to bribe yourself with!

      Delete
  9. CHOCOLATE. Write a thousand words, eat a Hershey's kiss. Write a thousand words, eat a Hershey's kiss. :-D

    And The Walking Dead is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *high fives* Yes, chocolate ALWAYS works! I should have thought of that!

      Delete
  10. Ice cream. Coldstone ice cream is my go-to bribe. I've had the same problem lately (took a break and had a hard time getting back into the writing). I actually had an outside deadline that forced me back into it, but that's not nearly as fun as bribes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, same thing happened to me. When I take a short break, it's not so bad getting back to writing. But the long breaks....so hard to get back to work after those.

      Delete