Pages

Friday, January 27, 2012

Things That Make Me Smile

You know, it seems like it's easy to find things in life that aren't so great. I know I've had my share of bad things to happen, especially last year. One thing I've learned is if you dwell on those not so great things, the way you perceive things will become negative. This year I've decided to try something else, see if I can look for more good things in life. Things that make me smile. Some of those things are:

* Spending time with my family. That seems to be a no-brainer, but sometimes I get so caught up in my hermit-like ways that I ignore the fam. Not good. Especially when they can always find a way to make me happy.

* Castle. Oh, how I love this show. I mean, it has Nathan Fillion. 
That's exciting enough, isn't it?

* Chocolate donuts from the bakery. I know I shouldn't get them, but they're sooooo good. Not so good for my waistline, but whatevs. I can always diet later, right?

* Writing epiphanies. Y'all, I haven't had one of those in a long time and I finally got one yesterday concerning something that's been bugging me with my WiP. It felt AMAZING! I was in the car on the way home from picking up my kids from school when it hit me. I literally ran in the house after telling my oldest to get the toddler out so I could scribble down some notes before I forgot them.

* The movie MIDNIGHT IN PARIS. I watched it this week and all I can say is wow. A writer who's in Paris travels through time to the 1920's. So. Cool.


So what are some things that have made you smile lately?

17 comments:

  1. What an awesome list! I adore Midnight in Paris. And now I have to watch Castle. Have a wonderful weekend, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you should give Castle a try! Nathan Fillion is so funny!

      Delete
  2. I had one of those writing epiphanies just this morning in the shower. They are so awesome and definitely worth a pack of smiles! :)

    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's up with the shower and writing epiphanies? I've gotten some in there, too! :D

      Delete
  3. Hooray for Epiphanies! :) And I enjoy Castle, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually this week, I've been watching home movies of my kids and that's been making me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, I bet they're adorable! I haven't watched any of our old home movies in a while. I need to do that (of course they'll probably make me cry because my kids are growing up so fast).

      Delete
  5. Love epiphanies AND Castle! Such a good combo of things that are awesome!
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's like the ultimate combination of happiness, lol!

      Delete
  6. I love writing epiphanies. And Castle is one of my favorites. From the previous comments, sounds like we all agree on the two. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of people with excellent taste visiting the blog today, lol! :D #TeamCastle

      Delete
  7. Hi Melissa!
    Some things that make me smile: when my dogs cock their heads to the side like they're listening to me, when my husband leaves me the last Diet Coke, and reading great books- this weekend I read EVERNEATH by Brodi Ashton and LEGEND by Marie Lu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it when dogs do that! My Jack Russell does that all the time. So cute! I haven't read Everneath yet, but Legend was amazing! :D

      Delete
  8. My son makes me smile every time. :) He just opens his mouth or walks in the room and I start smiling!

    Thanks for the reminder to pay attention to the good things in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kids always have a way of making you feel better, don't they? :)

      Delete
  9. I love Nathan Fillion! He's super funny in Castle. Oh, and I gave you a couple blog awards! Drop by and get them when you get the chance. :-)

    ReplyDelete