Pages

Friday, October 19, 2012

Getting Out In The Real World

Sooo...it's been a month since I last posted here. That's what revising will do to you. Now I'm not going to do one of those "Revising Is Hard" posts because that's a given. ;) What I want to do is talk about how you should NOT let writing consume your life. I know because that's been pretty much all I've thought about lately. Y'all, it's not pretty. I really don't get out of the house enough. Instead, I spend hours at a time in front of my computer, and it's not always productive time because I'm stressing myself out too much. I wanted to have my book finished a month ago, but it hasn't happened. Then my husband wanted to take a mini family vacation last week and the first thing I thought was, No! I won't be able to work on my book for four whole days! And yesterday I remembered that we had promised to take the kids to the fair last night. Again, I thought, Just great, I'm losing more writing time.

But you know what? I'm glad I went on vacation, and I'm glad I went to the fair last night. I'm glad because if I didn't I would've missed out on:

* The majestic views we saw in the mountains. This was the first time I'd ever been to the mountains in the fall and the sight was AMAZING.
* Spending time with my family. Sure, the kids fought like whoa, but we needed that away time together.
* Watching the kids' smiles at the fair as they rode every. single. ride. (I'm not joking.)
* Talking to people I hadn't seen in ages.
* People watching. Y'all, that's something every writer should do. For instance, I saw a college-age guy taking pictures with a professional looking camera while I was waiting on my kids. Was he taking pictures of people he knew or just randomly snapping shots of strangers? Then there was the lady who looked to be in her forties sitting on a bench, reading a book. She had the cover hidden with a piece of paper, but I saw the title on the spine: Torn by Robin Wasserman.
* Discovering the joy of eating a deep fried Oreo topped with powdered sugar. OMG, I thought I loved funnel cakes, but this....I have no words. If you can get your hands on one, try it. I mean, look at this!

Photo by Jenn Larsen

So have you stayed in the house too much lately? If not, what have you done to get yourself out there in the real world?


2 comments:

  1. I figure my kids are only kids for so long, so they take priority over everything. With a son in grade 12, it's gone way too fast. Writing will always be there, but I guess we just have to not be in a hurry. Take time to smell the roses, as the saying goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. It seems like yesterday that my oldest was toddling around the house, and now she's a freshman in high school. Time goes by too fast.

      Delete