But you know what? I'm glad I went on vacation, and I'm glad I went to the fair last night. I'm glad because if I didn't I would've missed out on:
* The majestic views we saw in the mountains. This was the first time I'd ever been to the mountains in the fall and the sight was AMAZING.
* Spending time with my family. Sure, the kids fought like whoa, but we needed that away time together.
* Watching the kids' smiles at the fair as they rode every. single. ride. (I'm not joking.)
* Talking to people I hadn't seen in ages.
* People watching. Y'all, that's something every writer should do. For instance, I saw a college-age guy taking pictures with a professional looking camera while I was waiting on my kids. Was he taking pictures of people he knew or just randomly snapping shots of strangers? Then there was the lady who looked to be in her forties sitting on a bench, reading a book. She had the cover hidden with a piece of paper, but I saw the title on the spine: Torn by Robin Wasserman.
* Discovering the joy of eating a deep fried Oreo topped with powdered sugar. OMG, I thought I loved funnel cakes, but this....I have no words. If you can get your hands on one, try it. I mean, look at this!
|Photo by Jenn Larsen|
So have you stayed in the house too much lately? If not, what have you done to get yourself out there in the real world?