Pages

Thursday, April 18, 2013

AGENT NEWS!

Yes, you read that right! I'm beyond thrilled to announce that I'm now represented by the amazing Suzie Townsend of New Leaf Literary & Media!!!!! Seriously, this has been me for the past week:






So you may want to know how all of this happened. I have to give a huge thanks to the organizers of Writeoncon! I put my query letter for THE EDGE OF FOREVER up at Writeoncon last year, hoping for some feedback. Now I wasn't finished with the manuscript yet, and I noted that in the query letter, but I couldn't miss such a fantastic opportunity to have my query critiqued by so many wonderful writers and possibly ninja agents. Well, I got lucky and received a full request from one of those ninjas, who turned out to be Suzie. I promised to send the manuscript as soon as I finished, thinking it would take another month or so. *cue maniacal laughter* 

Anyway, to make a long story short, I didn't have it completely polished until the end of February this year. I sent my first query letters off at the very end of February/beginning of March, along with the manuscript to Suzie, and settled back because I'd been warned that there would be A LOT of waiting. Like months and months of waiting. Then a few weeks later, I received an email from Suzie. I was terrified to open it because I was sure it was a rejection. But I was stunned to find out that she was loving my book and just wanted the synopsis. Sure. No big deal, right? I sent it off, trying to be all cool and such, but I probably looked more like this:


And then after a little more waiting, I got another email. She loved it and wanted to talk. And after we talked and she officially offered to represent me, I probably looked a little crazy for a while and did a lot of squeeing and stuff like this:



I was really nervous to talk to Suzie, but she was so nice! She made me feel at ease and answered every question I had, and I feel so lucky to be one of her clients now. I look forward to many years of working with her!!! 



41 comments:

  1. Such awesome, awesome news! Could not be happier for you! :D <3 (I'm squeeeeing w/ you!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! I'm so happy for you. What a little journey it's been, right? WrAHM'ers ROCK! I can't wait to see what's next for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! <3 And maybe all the WrAHMers will have agents by the end of the year!

      Delete
  3. SO happy for you! I did WOC last summer, too. And this March. :) Love it! Congratulations!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. AHHHH!!! Thanks Julie! *dances with you*

      Delete
  5. CONGRATS! And I have no doubt I'll be reading your book soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kelsey! That's so sweet. :) I really can't wait to read yours!

      Delete
  6. That's so awesome, congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy for you...CONGRATS!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eeeppppp! SO COOL! And I'm a Georgia girl, myself! I love seeing other GA writers! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *fistbump* YES! It's so nice to meet another Georgia writer! :)

      Delete
  9. Congrats! Writeoncon really is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeff! :) I absolutely love Writeoncon!

      Delete
  10. Congratulations! Suzie is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Melissa,
    Congrats again (also congratted you on Twitter). Sounds like we have very similar interests as writers--so I'm joining your blog!
    Best,
    Josh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Josh! It's always cool to meet someone with the same interests! And thank you for following my blog. :)

      Delete
  12. OMG! Congrats!!! So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Juliana! I'm still kind of dazed! :D

      Delete
  13. YAY!! Congratulations Melissa! How very very wonderful. I'd be doing the Kermit dance too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie! This definitely required Muppet flailing!

      Delete
  14. Melissa I'm so sorry I missed this post when it first came up, but I just wanted to come say thank you for your encouragement on my post!!! Getting ninja'd (TWICE) at WriteOnCon was unbelievable. Now I'm scurrying to get revisions done so I can send out my partial (100 pages!). So happy to hear your success story!

    ReplyDelete