Pages

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The New Adult Craze

So unless you're living under a rock or something, there's this whole new category of books called New Adult that's really popular now. I know of several authors who have self-published New Adult books, and they are doing very well. I've also seen numerous book deals in the past six months on Publisher's Marketplace in which previously self-published NA books have been sold to traditional publishers in some pretty sweet deals.

Now I'm not going to lie - I've thought about writing one of those books, but I've held off. Why? Because right now New Adult is really doing well for contemporary themes and my brain doesn't want to come up with straight contemporary plots. I naturally gravitate to strange and weird ideas, things that aren't found in the real world. Does that mean I'll never write a contemporary book? No...it just means I haven't found the right idea yet. Because I do love reading contemporary stories. In fact some of my favorite recent reads have been contemporary. Easy by Tammara Webber, Picture Perfect by Alessandra Thomas, Losing It by Cora Carmack, and If You Find Me by Emily Murdoch are just a few. Out of those titles, three of them are New Adult.

What I'm really wondering (and hoping) is that New Adult's popularity will expand to encompass other areas such as science fiction, fantasy, and historical. I'm critiquing a FANTASTIC New Adult historical book right now that's set during the prohibition era and I'd love to find more books like that.

So what do you think about New Adult? Have you read any of those books? And if you have, what are some titles you would recommend?

8 comments:

  1. I am so with you on this! I love the idea of New Adult because it's such a fascinating period in a person's life what with all of the transition, the firsts, the fears... But, like you, I really want NA to expand beyond contemporary. I like contemporary a lot, but I'd love to see NA sci-fi, fantasy, thrillers, you name it. I really hope that happens soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *High five* I'd be so happy if NA would break out in the other genres.

      Delete
  2. I'm not a fan of YA or NA books, but I won an NA book once and gave it to my 17-year-old. She enjoyed it but said it had a fair amount of sex in it-- thus moving it, I suppose, from the YA category.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, NA *can* have more sex, but it's also in some YA books as well.

      Delete
  3. I always find myself gravitating to the highest limits of the Young Adult age range so I really like the idea of New Adult as well. Unfortunately, I couldn't write contemporary fiction if my life depended on it. There's too much real life all over the place, I want to write about something fantastical, so until it expands to some of the genres you listed I guess I'll have to be patient!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean! As a reader, I do love reading contemporary, but I prefer something that's fantasy or sci-fi. I've always been that way. :)

      Delete
  4. Here you guys, a list of NA speculative fiction: http://naalley.blogspot.com/p/recommended-na-reads.html
    Scroll down and you'll see it ... there's UF, PNR, sci-fi, etc ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Juliana! That link is great! :)

      Delete