Pages

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

What's Up Wednesday

I've seen this meme around for a few weeks, and today I figured I'd join the fun! 


What's Up Wednesday is a weekly meme, started by Jaime Morrow and Erin Funk, geared to help readers and writers touch base and let them know what's up. If you want join in, you can find the link widget on Jaime's and Erin's blogs!

What I'm Reading

I'm embarrassed to admit that I've had the book Shadow and Bone on my Nook for a while. (I'm a spur of the moment book buyer). Anyway, I'm a little over a hundred pages in now, and I'm so in love. Seriously. I used to read a lot of fantasy, but I got away from it in recent years. This book has me wanting to read nothing but fantasy now! The world-building is fantastic, I want to be BFFs with the protagonist, and then there's The Darkling. I love reading a bad boy character, but this one has to be one of my favorites (right up there with Morpheus from Splintered). I'm definitely going to buy the sequel when it comes out next week!


What I'm Writing

I'm finishing up a round of edits for Awesome Agent Suzie! Hope to have them completed over the weekend, and then it's on to the next WiP.

What Inspires Me Right Now

I'd have to say movies. I've been watching a lot lately, at the theater and on dvd. Some of my favorites are Star Trek Into Darkness, Iron Man 3, and Silver Linings Playbook. I still want to see The Great Gatsby and Fast & Furious 6.

What Else I've Been Up To

Nothing too exciting has been going on with me. I've been busy with end-of-the-school year activities with my kids, and now they're home with me. Trying to keep them busy has been...interesting. At least we have a beach vacation coming up in the next few weeks!

I've also been attempting to get into shape. It's sad how much of a slug I've become. So I've been slowly building up by walking/jogging five times a week, and I'm trying to eat healthier. Not so easy when I crave chocolate all the time.

And that's it! 

What have you been up to lately?

22 comments:

  1. Star Trek Into Darkness is sooooooooo awesome! Oh my gosh I LOVE IT SO MUCH!

    *ahem*

    ^_^

    How exciting to be finishing edits for your agent! Good luck on your journey to publication!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I'm so happy to meet someone else who loved Star Trek as much as me! I'm still geeking out over it. :D

      Delete
  2. I loved SHADOW AND BONE; the world was so unique! I completely forgot that SIEGE AND STORM is out next week, though. Finally!
    And I second the Star Trek love. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, I've been hearing how good SHADOW AND BONE is, but I was all, "Meh, I'll get around to it eventually." I've been on a sci-fi kick lately. But the world building is one of the things that grabbed me from the beginning.

      Yay for another Star Trek fan!!!

      Delete
  3. I loved Shadow and Bone! Hey, Darkling is MINE!
    Dude, I wish I could actually go to the movies lol I only take the daughter. Since we don't know anyone around here, and she's only 6, movies = go with her or no go. Perhaps I should be looking for a babysitter, but like I said, I don't know anyone and I would prefer having recs of one before just picking a stranger, you know?
    At least hubs got us a huge LED TV and a nice home theater. So, once the films are on DVD, I just need to make some popcorn and pretend we're on the movies LOL
    Chocolate! *ears perk up* Someone said chocolate! =P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I might share the Darkling! ;)

      Oh, that would be hard to see movies with no babysitter.:( I totally get not wanting to leave her with a stranger. Actually, my hubs and I wouldn't be able to go out without his mom watching our kids. My mom lives too far away.

      Delete
  4. SHADOW AND BONE is so good! It's awesome that you only have a week to wait for the sequel,too. Can't wait! My husband and I saw Iron Man 3 and Stark Trek: Into Darkness and loved them both. I hear you on the becoming a slug thing. I've been trying to get some exercise in so I can deslugify myself, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the good thing about waiting to read S & B is that I get the sequel next week. But then I'll have to wait another year with everyone else to get the last book! lol

      I LOVE that word, deslugify! I'll have to remember to use it. :)

      Delete
  5. I thought SHADOW AND BONE was well-written, but it didn't grab me like it has others. Something about the characters just didn't make me care enough to want to read the next. But, as I said, it's a good book. To each their own. :)

    All the best with the edits and the exercising. I hate exercise, but it's a necessary evil. If only it wasn't so stinking exhausting. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Reading is very subjective. There are quite a few books a lot of people I know loved that I just liked. :)

      And thank you! And you're so right about exercise being a necessary evil. :D

      Delete
  6. Fun idea for Wednesday! Very cool! And I haven't read Shadow and Bone yet. I'll have to get it on my list. And don't worry about it taking you forever to get to it - I have SO MANY that are just waiting for me to read them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Great Gatsby is one of my true book loves and I must see that movie! And I've been trying to keep in shape too. Can't wait for summer to spend more time on that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about Gatsby. It's one of those that looks so glamorous and I just want to see it in a theater. :)

      Delete
  8. SHADOW AND BONE was so good! I have to say I really enjoyed the Darkling as well, and I like your comparison to Morpheus from SPLINTERED. I can definitely see the similarity. I hear you on feeling like a slug. Everyone on the blogs seems to be motivated to exercise these days, and I need to get off the couch and do the same. Congrats on nearing the end of your edits, and have fun starting your new WIP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny I didn't used to like the bad boy characters, but lately they're the ones I love the most. :D And thank you!

      Delete
  9. I really enjoyed SILVER LININGS :-) And I heard great things about SHADOW AND BONE but haven´t read it yet...
    Good luck with the exercise! (and I don´t want to be an enabler but chocolate is healthy, no?) :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I *think* dark chocolate is healthier, but I'm not sure. It's not my favorite, but I'll take it if I have to! :)

      Delete
  10. Embrace the love of chocolate (that's what I tell myself, anyway). That's the great thing about exercising, you can enjoy some tasty stuff without feeling too bad about it. :0) Sounds like you've seen/are planning to see some good stuff. I need to see SLP and Gatsby. I may just wait for netflix, though. If we manage to get a sitter we usually prefer to go out and talk rather than sit in a theater. But I would love to see Gatsby, especially, on the big screen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true! Cheat a little with some chocolate, exercise a little longer. lol :D

      I wasn't sure about SLP, but I'm a big fan of Jennifer Lawrence and she was so good in it.

      Delete
  11. Oh the eating healthier is ALWAYS on my list! Sounds like you have some very positive things going on in the reading/writing world. :) Fun post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I usually have eating healthier on my list, but I'm so bad about cheating. ;)

      Delete