Pages

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

What's Up Wednesday


What's Up Wednesday is a weekly meme, started by Jaime Morrow and Erin Funk, geared to help readers and writers touch base and let them know what's up. If you want join in, you can find the link widget on Jaime's blog!

What I'm Reading

I've been reading a lot of books lately, trying to put a dent in my huge TBR pile. I've had Star Cursed by Jessica Spotswood in there since the day it was released, but I'm just now getting around to reading it. It's the second book in the The Cahill Witch Chronicles series, and I'm loving it just as much as I loved the first book, Born Wicked. It's an alternate history set in a New England led by The Brotherhood - an order of religious men who make sure that females have little to no rights and continue to hunt/persecute the witches who used to rule over society. So far I'm a little over a hundred pages in the book, and The Brotherhood has taken away women's rights to work outside the home and forbidden girls to learn how to read. I'm so ready for the main character, Cate, to come into her prophesied powers and put The Brotherhood in their place! :)

What I'm Writing

I'm knee-deep in the planning stages of my new WiP. Let me tell you, I'd forgotten how frustrating and fun this stage can be. Frustrating because I want to know all the details about my new story RIGHT NOW, and that's not how it works for me. Fun because getting to create the backstory for my new characters, bring the world alive, and get to know those new characters is part of the joy in writing a new book. 

What Inspires Me Right Now

Since I'm planning my new book, I'm spending a lot of time doing research and looking at pictures that inspire me. Here's a link to the Pinterest board I made. If you don't have time to click over, I'll give you a few hints. Savannah. Ghosts. Spooky Cemeteries. Stuff like that. 

What Else I've Been Up To

In know it's insane, but my kids started back to school last week. Crazy early, but good for me because I have KID FREE time again! Woohoo!!! But it's a lot of work getting them ready for school. Having three kids means multiple shopping trips for back to school supplies and clothes. Plus I made some time to just hang out with them, and we finally got around to seeing Despicable Me 2. If you haven't seen it yet...go. It's hilarious!

So....what have YOU been up to lately?

16 comments:

  1. Wow, your kids school starts early. School doesn't start up again here until September. Hopefully, once the kiddo's are off at school you'll have lots of good writing time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's insane how early they have to start. Way back in the day, I used to start school at the end of August. But you're right - I'm getting lots of work done now that they're back! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh! That Pinterest board is fantastic. That must mean your new story is pretty darn fantastic too! I know what you mean about the joys and frustrations of the planning stages. I think I actually need to sit down and spend more time doing that. I'm a planner by nature, but lately I've let that slip a bit and have kind of been pantsing. (I am SO not a pantser.) I think maybe a Pinterest board might give me some of the inspiration I need to do some more plotting and planning. Thanks for the idea! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jamie! :D I LOVE Pinterest. But I have to limit myself over there. It's so tempting to just keep pinning stuff and not actually get any work done. And planners unite! lol

      Delete
  3. I LOVED Despicable Me 2! The first has been a treasured favorite and I think it's safe to say that the sequel was even better! And wow! Your children did start school early. Mine go back in about three weeks. I can wait.

    Good luck with all the writing and reading and everything else this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, I adored the first Despicable Me! I could watch it over and over, and I completely feel the same way about the sequel. And yep, our school system is really weird. They like to let the kids out around the third week of May and bring them back in early August. Usually they start the second week of August, but this year was on the second day. O.o

      Delete
  4. As a pantser, I am always in awe of plotters who have the self-control to wait before they leap into a story. I just go nuts and then figure out the mess I create in the editing phase. Hope your planning goes well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wish I was a pantser sometimes. I'm itching to start writing the actual story now, but I know from experience that if I don't have things planned out, I'll just end up staring at the blank screen. Then I'll click over to the Internet, and before I know it I'll have wasted a few hours that I should have been writing. :)

      Delete
  5. I've heard so many good things about BORN WICKED lately. It's in my stack of TBR books and I really need to get to it soon. I'm glad to hear the sequel is living up to the first book. I love it when that happens, and now I'm even more eager to get into this series.

    Your inspiration pictures for your new WIP are gorgeous! Best of luck with the planning! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Erin! It's fun going through the pictures, but I have to be careful or I'll spend a lot of time over at Pinterest.

      Oh yes, you should definitely get to BORN WICKED. It was one of my favorites that I read last year. :)

      Delete
  6. Yay for kiddos being back in school! I didn't know what to do with myself this morning after dropping my daughter off! I'm so envious that you're reading STAR CURSED. I just read BORN WICKED last month and loved it. Can't wait to dive into the next book. Best of luck with your research... Your WiP sounds very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) Yes, definitely get Star Cursed...I think I like it a little more than BORN WICKED. :)

      Delete
  7. I like this use of Pinterest boards. i can hardly keep up with all my social media demands, but this is one area I'd like to build on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Pinterest. But you have to watch yourself. It's easy to spend way too much time over there. :)

      Delete
  8. I love your Pinterest board for your WIP. I'm from Charleston, so I hear Savannah and I'm all, "Sign me up!" The pictures are so Southern and so creepy. Delicious. And I know what you mean about the planning stage. I'm planning out my NaNo book right now and I know almost all the details about the main characters, as well as much of the world, and I know the general plot, but I have no idea how it's going to end. I actually love that because I love watching my story take shape as I write it.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kris. Actually one of my CPs lives in Charleston, so maybe you could meet sometime! :) Good luck with your NaNo project!

      Delete