Pages

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

What's Up Wednesday


What's Up Wednesday is a weekly meme, started by Jaime Morrow and Erin Funk, geared to help readers and writers touch base and let them know what's up. If you want join in, you can find the link widget on Jaime's blog!

What I'm Reading

I'm currently reading ALL OUR YESTERDAYS by Cristin Terrill. I'm a little over halfway done with it, and y'all I'm really loving it. Books about time travel can be really confusing, but not this one. I'd heard that the two POVs were from the same character (one in the present and one four years in the future). Honestly, I wasn't sure about it. But I actually love that fact. You get to know the character as she is now (shallow, spoiled, and in love with her genius neighbor/best friend), and how she is after things go wrong with the whole world (imprisoned and tortured by the same boy, who invented a time machine). The future version escapes and travels back in time to murder said boy before he can invent the time machine. Yeah, lots of conflict there. I can't wait to see how it all ends!

What I'm Writing

Nothing new to report here. I'm still trying to iron out details of my new WiP. Let me just say that this one is being quite difficult. 

What Inspires Me Right Now

The Walking Dead. Seriously. I've never been a huge fan of zombies, but I absolutely LOVE this show. I finished watching season 3 recently (in about 3 days, no less). And now I'm just waiting for season 4 to start. If you've never watched it before, I promise it's more that just people killing zombies (although there is a lot of that). The characters are incredible and complex. No joke - I bawled during one of the episodes of season 3 because a certain character died. 

What Else I've Been Up To

I'm *attempting* to get back in an exercise routine. Attempting because I've been really inconsistent, but I am trying. :D  I've been walking several miles a few days a week (trying to make it every day). What I really want is to start running, but that's not gonna happen right away. I'm pathetically out of shape! 

And that's all! What have you been up to lately?


12 comments:

  1. Since I'm a huge Doctor Who fan, books involving time travel catch my eye. The cover looks a bit like DIVERGENT, but I might have to add it to my TBR. Thanks for the recommendation.

    As for exercise--I hate it. Always have. If I could avoid it, I would. Probably the biggest act of self-discipline I commit 4 or 5 times a week is to exercise. So I completely understand what it's like to try to get into a routine, especially when your mind and body say "No... please... don't you like us? I thought we were frieeeends!!" But I have to grudgingly admit, that the physical and mental benefits are well worth the effort.

    Have a really good week with your difficult WiP, Melissa. I hope you manage to beat it into submission and make it into something wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Doctor Who, too! *fist bump*

      You're right, the exercise is worth the effort. But the thing is you have to motive yourself to actually put in the effort. So. Hard. To. Do.

      And thank you...this WiP doesn't want to cooperate at all. Everything with my last WiP just fell into place, but this one is being stubborn. lol

      Delete
  2. The Walking Dead is, without a doubt, my favourite TV show right now. It's amazing, isn't it? Season 3 blew my mind! And yes, I have cried many, many, many tears too. It's such a character-driven show and I find myself rooting for characters I never expected to care about as much as I do.

    I try and swim twice a week. Only going to manage once this week, but I really enjoy it. It takes a bit of time to get into my rhythm, but once I'm there, it's really fun! Good luck to you :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, another TWD fan! *high fives* It's amazing how 3-D the characters are. I can't believe I actually starting liking Merle (a little)! And I have a hard time picking out a favorite from the other characters. They're all so good!

      Delete
  3. The few episodes I've seen of TWD, I've loved. That show rocks! And I cannot wait to get my hands on Cristin's book!!! I've heard nothing but good things and am so excited for her.

    And oh those misbehaving WiPs! Good luck with the writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :)

      I hope you get a copy of AOY soon. I think you'll really like it!

      Delete
  4. Oooh! I love The Walking Dead too! It's one of the few shows my husband and I agree on. :-)

    So, I've been wanting to read ALL OUR YESTERDAYS since the deal went public, and I knew it had to do with time travel, but I didn't really know what it was about until I read your thoughts above. Now I totally want to read it, and I'm kicking myself for not adding it to the (too big) book order I placed yesterday. Next time!

    Good luck ironing out the details of your WiP, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finished AOY last night and it was so intense! Loved it! And now I'm super tired because I stayed up way later than I should have, but it was worth it. :)

      Delete
  5. I think ALL OUR YESTERDAYS has a fantastic cover. It sounds interesting thanks for the recommendation. Good luck with your WIP. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good! It reminded me of a cross between THE TERMINATOR and LOOPER. :)

      Delete
  6. I just finished reading Eleanor and Park, awesome book. I'm trying to develop an exercise routine and would like to run seeing as I'm completely out of shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Eleanor and Park and I keep hearing that is's great! I'll have to move it higher to the top of the TBR list. :)

      Good luck with developing an exercise routine. Let me know if you find something that works. I'm always on the lookout for new things to try (that hopefully I can do)!

      Delete