Pages

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

What's Up Wednesday


What's Up Wednesday is a weekly meme, started by Jaime Morrow and Erin Funk, geared to help readers and writers touch base and let them know what's up. If you want join in, you can find the link widget on Jaime's blog!

What I'm Reading


It's been a while since I last posted for WUW. I've read a lot of great books since then, so I'll list those: Fangirl and Eleanor & Park - both by Rainbow Rowell, The Coldest Girl in Coldtown - Holly Black, Throne of Glass and Crown of Midnight - both by Sarah J. Maas, and finally Faking It - Cora Carmack. All of them were fantastic! I'm itching to read another book, but I'm holding off for a few days so I can outline my next book. 

What I'm Writing

Not actually writing chapters yet. I'd been trying to make my last idea work, and sadly I couldn't get it just right. Hey, it happens. So I pitched another idea to my awesome agent, and she was all for it. Yay! It's going to be a fantasy, which will require a lot of world building. Fun stuff! Fortunately, I can still use my WiP Pinterest board as inspiration. 

What Inspires Me Right Now

All the new TV shows that I've started watching. The Blacklist is amazing. James Spader is perfect in this series as a major league criminal who's turned himself in to authorities and helping them catch other criminals, but only on the condition that he deals with one particular agent. Other new favorites are Sleepy Hollow and American Horror Story: Coven

What Else I've Been Up To

I'm trying to get back in a working groove. A little over two weeks ago, one of my kids got sick and had to miss a whole week of school. Right after that I got sick. :( Then the week after that, school was out for Fall Break, and they didn't go back to school until yesterday. 

And that's it! What have you been up to lately?



12 comments:

  1. Lots of good books indeed! I need to read Faking It - I have a signed copy on my bookshelf ;)

    Plotting is fun! I can't wait to finish revisions so I can start plotting too!

    Yay, I see you're liking Sleepy Hollow - me too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be glad when I'm finished plotting. I'm so ready to start drafting!

      Sleepy Hollow is so good. I didn't expect to like it as much as I do. :)

      Delete
  2. Hope you can get back into the writing groove soon :) Good luck with the plotting :D

    I need to check out Sleepy Hollow. It sounds really good.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you! And you should check out Sleepy Hollow. I dark and twisty and I just adore it. :)

      Delete
  3. YAY for new ideas! And for fantasy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knooooowwwwwww! I've been reading a lot of fantasy lately and I'm excited to write one. :)

      Delete
  4. Best of luck with your planning and world-building for your new project -- new ideas are the best. How much did you love E&P and FANGIRL? Those are two of the best books I've read this year. Rainbow Rowell is amazing. Have a great week, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katy. :) I adored E & P and Fangirl. Both stories were so different, and yet felt similar. Can't wait to read her next book!

      Delete
  5. I read Eleanor and Park this summer and just downloaded Fangirl, looking forward to reading that one. Right now I'm reading Flat Out Love.

    And Sleepy Hollow is one of my new favorite shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of people are watching Sleepy Hollow. Hopefully it'll make it past season 1. I've heard Flat Out Love is really good. I need to buy it. :)

      Delete
  6. You have some great reads on that list! I especially loved ELEANOR & PARK and CROWN OF MIDNIGHT. I've heard so many awesome things about FANGIRL, I'm thinking I might have to get reading it. A new fantasy WIP sounds great. As far as I'm concerned, the YA market can use more great fantasy. (There actually isn't all that much if you stop and think about it.) Hope the ideas flow! Have a great week, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think you'll like Fangirl. And I wish we didn't have to wait a whole year to read the third book in the Throne of Glass series. I can't wait to find out what happens! You're so right...I can't really think of a lot of YA fantasies right away. We need more. :)

      Delete