Pages

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

What's Up Wednesday



What's up Wednesday is a weekly meme, started by Jamie Morrow and Erin Funk, geared to help readers and writers touch base and let them know what's up. If you want to join in, you can find the link widget on Jamie or Erin's blog!

WHAT I'M READING

The end of the school year is always super busy for me. My middle daughter has been keeping me busy with softball games, and the schools like to cram field trips and class parties and award ceremonies into the same month. So I haven't been reading as much as I like. The last book I read (sadly a few weeks ago) was CRUEL BEAUTY by Rosamund Hodge. It's a unique retelling of Beauty and the Beast with gorgeous prose and compelling characters that had me flying through the pages to finish. I'm ready to start another book, but I can decide between THE MADMAN'S DAUGHTER by Megan Shepherd or THE WINNER'S CURSE by Marie Rutkoski. What would you suggest?

WHAT I'M WRITING

It's been a while since I drafted a book, and now I remember why I prefer revising. I got to a little over 10K in my draft and realized I hated everything, which put me into a major writing funk. I've read that sometimes it's not easy writing another book after you get an agent, and for me it's SO TRUE. Right now I'm working on my world building again and modifying my beat sheet. It must be working because this week I finally started feeling excited for this story again. Yay!

WHAT INSPIRES ME RIGHT NOW

I'm still feeling excited over my book deal announcement. It's been so surreal being able to tell everybody that my book will be published NEXT YEAR!!!!! It's even on Goodreads if you want to check it out! :D

WHAT ELSE I'VE BEEN UP TO

Let's see, in between kid activities, I've been beta reading two fantastic manuscripts, and I've been binge watching AGENTS OF SHIELD. I watched the first episode last fall and liked it, then our satellite provider had a ridiculous dispute with the local channel that shows AoS for nearly a month. I forgot about watching the rest of the episodes, but decided to catch up when the new Captain America movie came out. I'm so glad I did! The episodes tie in to the rest of the recent Marvel movies and I LOVE how the characters grew over the course of the season and made me care about them. I'm so ready for the new season this fall!

So what have you been up to lately?

18 comments:

  1. I LOVE Agents of Shield so much! It is one of my favorite shows =) I especially adore Fitzy. *sniff sniff*

    I'm going to go add your book on Goodreads right now! You must be so excited =)

    I've just been busy finishing up my story. I'm almost done, then I'll start querying this summer =/ I've also been critiquing for my CP and I just started as an intern for Margaret Bail. Busy, busy, busy! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg, I love FitzSimmons! I don't know what I'll do if things aren't the same with them in the fall! *flails*

      And thank you so much!!! I'm excited and nervous to think of anyone reading EoF! :)

      Good luck with querying and the new job. That is so exciting that you get to work with an agent, and I'm sure you'll sign with your own agent in no time!

      Delete
    2. Hopefully! I feel really good about this manuscript. I didn't feel like this with Warrior Branded, so we'll see ;)

      Delete
    3. That's definitely a good sign. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your book deal! That's amazing news :D

    Glad to hear you're getting excited about your WiP again. Hope it continues to go really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm still excited about it! :)

      Delete
  3. Total AoS fan, right here. I still haven't seen the finale for that and ARROW because my husband is away. Soon, I hope. Congrats on your book deal! That must be so exciting. Just added it to my TBR list on Goodreads. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you don't have to wait too long to watch the finale. It was great! I haven't watched ARROW, but I've heard it's really good. Might have to check it out this summer! And thank you for the add!!! :)

      Delete
  4. I love Agents of Shield but I wasn't blown away by the finale. Although- Fitz! I love FitzSimmons. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I love Coulson, I absolutely ADORE FitzSimmons! I hope their relationship doesn't change this fall after what happened to him.

      Delete
  5. I'd like to read Cruel Beauty - considering I love Beauty and the Beast I haven't read any retellings of it yet! I've heard some pretty amazing things about The Madman's Daughter. :)

    Congratulations on your book deal! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jess! Cruel Beauty is fantastic! I'd heard a lot of people talking about how good it was and just had to try it out for myself. :)

      Delete
  6. Wow, congratulations on your book deal! That's so exciting! I'm a huge fan of Agents of Shield too. My husband and I watched the whole season and now we're watching it again with our son over the summer. I love how they've tied the show in with the Avengers movies. Such a clever idea! Have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Erin! I'm so glad I started watching AoS again. I didn't realize what I'd been missing out on. :)

      Delete
  7. As you probably learned from my WUW post, I'm with you in your preference to revise. Drafting is just SO HARD! You'll have to let me know how you like THE WINNER'S CURSE if you decide to read it next. I just checked it out from the library because I've heard great things. I always think I don't like fantasy, but then I end up loving pretty much everything I read in that genre. (I'm looking at you, GRACELING and FINNIKIN!) Have a great week, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still unsure of which one I'll read, but I'll definitely let you know about TWC when I get to it. I loved GRACELING, too, but I still need to read FINNIKIN. :)

      Delete
  8. Hey, great to meet you. Congrats about the book, the agent, the beat sheet, and YAY, Agents of SHIELD rocks, don't it? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I'm so glad to see so many other AoS fans. It's a GREAT series!

      Delete